Casio club-G watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use this watch as a dive
watch? The manual says water resistant
to 100m (330ft). "It can withstand the ingress
of water to that static pressure. But dynamic
movement of water is greater than the static
pressure. " The manual also says
it can be used for snorkeling and diving but
says not scuba diving.

The salesperson at the store (a watch store) said
you could use it to scuba dive to 100m.
So I don''t know if I need to return the watch.

Can anyone help me figure this out.
Any owners with a similiar watch or a better
knowledge of physics please help.

a Seiko Sports Timer 100, my favorite watch of all time, that my wife got me when we first married in 1984. Fantastically easy for countdown timers, being able to use the functions underwater. It's rated to 100m, I've had it to 130', used all the functions and never had an issue. Unfortunately, it now has a couple of broken/missing pieces and Seiko does not have replacements.

I'm currently using a Timex Expedition, rated to 50m. It's about 3-4 years old and I never take it off so it's pretty beat up. Last weekend I was diving in Texas and it finally leaked. Just enough to get moisture on the inside of the crystal, but that spells the end.

I would tend to say get one rated at 100m as a minimum. If you can find one rated 200m with all the functions, capabilities you're looking for, get that. Specifically designed for diving is even better.

I'm now looking for a new watch, both analog and digital, since I like to have an alarm, countdown timer. I want 200m.

Any suggestions?

My last casio did great until i had to have a new battery put in. On the very first dive i looked at it....and it was gone. I have a St. Moritz Zero now but i am not as happy with it as I thought i would be and i havent even dived with it yet.

i see another casio g shock in my life soon

I dive with an Gold/Stainless Steel Rolex Submariner. Has a unidirectional rotating bezel to keep track of bottom time. If I accidentally turn the dial while diving it can only show a LONGER bottom time than is actual. Ummm...the oyster band has a "diver link" system that makes is possible for the band to expand large enough to fit over a gloved hand. It never needs winding or batteries. The screw down crown and the fact that it is machined from a solid piece of steel assure watertightness to 300 METERS!

It looks really good when dining in a nice restaurant or during surface intervals!

Citizen makes an excellent line of dive watches. I dive with the Aqualand (Analog version). I've sold Tag Heuer, Rolex, Breitling, Citizen, Seiko, Omega, etc, etc.

For the amount of money you spend, the Japanese movements are just as good as the Swiss ones. Besides, the swiss watches can cost as much as a nice set of gear.

I'd like to have an Omega SeaMaster, but for a few hundred my Citizen has more functions and is my watch of choice for diving.

Oh boy... bad experience here. My Omega SeaMaster leaked in 5 feet of water in Lake Tahoe. I sent it back to Omega and they wanted $200 to repair it. What a joke. I wrote them a nasty letter and asked why they even bother calling it a "sea master?"

By the way, Omega is owned by the Swatch watch group of companies. With Omega watches, (especially the quartz movements,) you're really just paying for the same crappy movement they put in Tag Heuer, Movado and Swatch.

I have had a Seiko automatic 200M dive watch for years and it has never given me any trouble.

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
Does anyone know if I can use this watch as a dive
watch? The manual says water resistant
to 100m (330ft). "It can withstand the ingress
of water to that static pressure. But dynamic
movement of water is greater than the static
pressure. " The manual also says
it can be used for snorkeling and diving but
says not scuba diving.
I like the normal sized Casio analog hand/small digital display watches that are rated to 100 meters. While Casio says they are not suited to scuba diving, I take it down to 100+' frequently and have never had any trouble.

I wouldn't trust it after a battery change, but by the time the battery wears out in 2 or 3 years I have beat up the watch crystal enough that it is time to fork over $20-25 and replace it.

YMMV, but my suggestion is to just go ahead and dive it unless you are doing long deco dives where the loss of timekeeping puts you in danger.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

I wouldn't trust it after a battery change, but by the time the battery wears out in 2 or 3 years I have beat up the watch crystal enough that it is time to fork over $20-25 and replace it.

YMMV, but my suggestion is to just go ahead and dive it unless you are doing long deco dives where the loss of timekeeping puts you in danger.

Yeah, a lot can happen during a battery change. I took a very expensive watch to an "authorized dealer" and had their "master watchmaker" change the battery for me.

Unfortunately, the guy didn't get enough coffee that day and he put the rear bezel back on badly. The new O-ring he put in got crimped and the watch leaked when I wore it in the shower.

I agree that even a simple battery change can go wrong.;-0

Sorry to be off the subject again....about the movements in the Omega's: If I remember correctly, there are one or two companies that manufacture movements for both automatic and quartz watches, and then the big players all buy from those manufacturers. Asssembly in done by the actual maker of the watches (Omega, Rolex, etc.)

Swatch does own Tag Heuer, Omega, Movado and Swatch...and maybe another. I've found their timepieces to be absolutely outstanding in quality. Nothing crappy there, but they are way overpriced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom