carrying an air tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a device for safely carrying an air tank, (i.e. harness with a handle) from the car to the water?

(1) Wear your BC with the tank mounted -- even if you will be gearing up at the water, this is still a great way to move your tanks.

(2) Get a small handcart with some bungees to secured the
tank(s)

Well if ya don't use the tank valve way, than there is an item called the port-o-tank..

You can get it a LDS for 10 or 12 bucks and it is basically weight belt webbing stiched with velcro adjusters. Then more webbing added to make a handle with a rigid tube inside for gripping..

Seen quite a few of them in action:)

Although you could probably just set you gear up and then walk with it to the entrance..

Ninja

Personaly I kit up at my vehicle and walk to the water. I find it easier that way.
:yellow:

I use the web straps with the neoprene handles to haul my tanks around (to and from the pool, to and from the LDS for air fills). But if it's a case of heading to the shore and diving, I'm like some of the others, I assemble the kit at my car and take it to the water.

As we usually carry two to the site, we normally hook one to the BC at the vehicle, carry that one on the back, and the second on a shoulder. If using doubles we wear those attached to the backplate or the Transpac.
Rick

A friend of mine :doctor: (the same who invented the .Underwater Magnifying Glass ) made a carying device for carying the tank. He made it from PVC pipe and a set of (toy) wheels. I'll try to describe....

The pipe is placed upright. Threre is a cutout at the upper side of the pipe, so the tank can be placed into the pipe. Wheels are mounted to the lower side of the pipe. There is a handpiece at the top of the pipe.

Take the pipe at the handpiece, rotate it, pull it and get rolling....

Gee, I definitely have to find a photo of it...Makes it lot easier...You hear from me... :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom