Carrying a pointer stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was raised on 4Chan, there's maybe just a gentle muck stick's touch of facetiousness in my answer.
How are we supposed to know that in your post? You are in an environment here with all age groups and many nationalities and native languages.

Gloves are generally allowed on wrecks. Look, if you are diving in a man made impoundment like for example, Table Rock Lake that I dive often enough, and on the "paddle wheel" wreck which is jagged iron, bring what you need to be safe. Man made lakes are not a sensitive coral reef ecosystem.

^^ Agree 100%. same concept as that 1-2 dives I do in the muck lake...

The 1-2 dives I do at the ski lake is treacherous, 0 vis like you're blindfolded and playing pin the tail on the donkey. Full wetsuit, waterski gloves and knife are all required equipment for safety because even if someone else was down there with me, they'd never find me.

I carry an extra large muck stick...... its called a spear gun and is excellent for pointing out ling cod, cabezon and kelp greenlings....all without any damage to reefs.
Same here, but mine doesn’t point out any of those fish. Most often it finds hogfish, grouper, and snapper.

i dont see why you'd need gloves or a knife in clear waters.
Really depends on the type of diving you do. I wear gloves and bring a knife and cutters on every dive. I’ve been glad I had them more than once. The waters I dive in are quite often clear, or relatively so.

If all you do is guided dives in tropical waters, then I see your point. That’s just not the type of diving I do. Most often I’m hunting, and a caught fish often finds a way to get a spine in the hand. That’s why the gloves I use are both cut and puncture resistant. Also, it doesn’t hurt that they grip the speargun bands a bit better than bare pruny fingers.

I honestly was confused when I first heard that gloves were banned at some locations. After seeing videos of group dives, I do get it, though I’m not sure it’s truly addressing the problem. Might be the easiest route, but perhaps not the most effective.

Back
Top Bottom