Carrying a pointer stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So that 3mm stick is going to bring down the environmental balance in the world's oceans when UW photographers use it to balance themselves and prevent their causing potential damage to dead coral or rocks???? Talk about "rebels without cause" chasing a non-issue to make a cause for themselves.

So what if there is a 3 point paralyzer tip on your pointing stick and it occasionally comes to rest on the odd lobster or hogfish that swims in front of it.

Or the parrot fish that keeps eating the coral all day and then it shiits it out lol.

The DMs I swam with in Roatan used their pointer sticks for two purposes;
1- lay it down with the tip pointing at very small things for people in the group to see as they took turns looking
2 - rap on tank to get attention

@Scuba_Jenny lent me a "muck stick" while at the Blue Heron Bridge. I used it to anchor myself at times. When I grow up I'll be a better diver. Or not.

When instructors stop overloading their students with lead, when buoyancy control becomes a requirement to passing OW, when divers stop standing on coral heads, when dive outfits stop encouraging divers to touch or molest the wildlife, maybe then I'll pay some attention to the argument surrounding pointer sticks.

Until then, I'm keeping the stick unless the local authorities prohibit it. 🤷‍♂️

As far as banning them: What's next? Long fins because people keep kicking the reefs?

That would be okay by me. But really the answer to all is buoyancy control and good trim and environmental awareness of where we are in space and what part of us or our kit might be dragging on something it should not be.

Most places ban or discourage sticks now and knives and gloves, so, yeah, rightly or wrongly, they are seen as a crutch or a tool to harass the wildlife and thus are discouraged if only by peer pressure.

I'd say my buoyancy skills are reasonably good and I carry a pointer, which comes in useful for:

Pointing out things to my buddy if I have one
Banging on my Strobe Arm to get attention
Occasionally sticking in the sand to steady myself for a really critical shot if there is current.
Pushing myself off from a wreck in current
Prodding intrusive divers who kick up sh!t when I'm trying to take photos on muck dives as well as those who have no situational awareness and land on the subject I'm photographing!

Clipped to my left chest D-ring until deployed, also has a lanyard so I can let it go and not lose it.

Most places ban or discourage sticks now and knives and gloves

ive only used old waterski gloves and a knife in the 0 visibilty lake i do the work in... ive had to cut myself out of fishing lines and loose ropes, and the gloves keep me from cutting my hands on things i cant see. i dont see why you'd need gloves or a knife in clear waters.

I do agree, instructors need to do a better job of teaching buoyancy. I did my part a few weeks ago on the aggressor where I got one diver to go from 12# to 6#, dropping 2# per dive until he got the least possible weight. I got another [new to diving] diver to drop 4# as well. They were surprised when i showed them you can dive with zero weights, which I did the last dive.

ive only used old waterski gloves and a knife in the 0 visibilty lake i do the work in... ive had to cut myself out of fishing lines and loose ropes, and the gloves keep me from cutting my hands on things i cant see. i dont see why you'd need gloves or a knife in clear waters.

I do agree, instructors need to do a better job of teaching buoyancy. I did my part a few weeks ago on the aggressor where I got one diver to go from 12# to 6#, dropping 2# per dive until he got the least possible weight. I got another [new to diving] diver to drop 4# as well. They were surprised when i showed them you can dive with zero weights, which I did the last dive.

Gloves are generally allowed on wrecks. Look, if you are diving in a man made impoundment like for example, Table Rock Lake that I dive often enough, and on the "paddle wheel" wreck which is jagged iron, bring what you need to be safe. Man made lakes are not a sensitive coral reef ecosystem. In such a place you will be frowned upon with gloves and sticks if not told outright to stow them away for when you are back home in the lake working on the slalom course. Rules, laws, regulations are replacements for common sense unfortunately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom