Carry on options, cheaper than Dive Caddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
My fiancee and I are planning a trip to somewhere with warm, clear water (haven't decided yet) but I'm concerned with getting gear down there. I'm a fantastic flier in that I've always streamlined the process as much as possible, but I've never flown with dive gear before. I'm looking for a carry-on solution cheaper than the Dive Caddy. My fiancee and I each have a full set of gear. The biggest differences from "standard" gear is that I own a Hollis SMS100 and a dry suit, she owns an Aeris EX Lite and a thick wetsuit. I'm a big guy and don't mind carrying a lot of weight. We're also definitely going to be checking at least one bag, so if the SMS100 simply won't work then that's fine. One thing I was wondering is this: does someone make an attachment to a BPW to convert your BPW into a bag? I know there were talks of it (maybe I dreamt it up??) and I think it'd be very interesting. Any ideas?

Also, I was going to stuff a mesh gear bag in my checked luggage to carry gear to and from the dive shop.

If you are heading for a tropical destination I doubt you would want to dive in a dry suit or a thick wetsuit. I usually dive in skins in summer in the Caribbean, or in a 1mm suit in winter. Some people prefer something warmer, but few need anything more than a 3mm in most places, especially where the water temps are 80F or higher. A big heavy BCD is also not a good idea. I have separate equipment for warm water diving and for local NE diving. I carry on everything but my fins when on holiday, and if there is a change of flights involved I can squeeze fins in my 22 inch carry on. If a second lightweight set of equipment is not in the cards at this point consider renting some things from the dive operator, after you check to make certain they have what you need.

Traveling light is always best. I've been flying to dive destinations for so long that I remember when flying was a delightful experience. You learn to reduce what you are bringing with you to an absolute minimum.

Ha, I have been brainstorming the idea of attaching a backpack to my backplate, since it is heavy, yet comfortable to wear. Probably going to do it the next time we travel via air for diving.

Otherwise I put my regs, lights, computers, and such into a backpack, our wetsuits and such go into two big roller cases. We can stay under the 50lb rule but barely. Plan and simple bags not advertising scuba gear is best for theft prevention. Paying extra money for a checked bag sucks depending on the airline. :(

We each have 2mm shorties, but my fiancee gets cold. We went to Roatan last January and both got cold in our shorties. She even got cold in a bigger wetsuit as water temps were pretty low for the area (mid-70's if I recall correctly). I was hoping to do some deco diving while I was down there, hence the drysuit. I know the SMS100 isn't ideal for travel (big and heavy)....but I am planning a cave class and my BP/W was simply not cutting it as far as sidemounting goes. As a college kid, it's all I can do to afford the gear we have. I might be able to piece together a singles bpw for cheap (I have a backplate and doubles wing, sell doubles wing and buy cheap harness?), but I won't be able to afford a travel BCD. Another option is I've been looking at making a custom SM harness. Monkey diving in the tropics sounds AWESOME to me :D. About a $100 option. If I sell off my bp/w, I'd come out about even.

---------- Post Merged at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I just checked my logbook. About 75F in Roatan. That gets to be chilly in a cheap 2mm wetsuit.

---------- Post Merged at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Peter, if you have any serious ideas let me know. I'd love to attach a bag large enough to hold at least regs, fins, 1 layer of exposure protection, and possibly fins. I have a buddy with an industrial sewing machine. If you want to PM me, I think we can work on it and get something good.

As far as the rest of your plan goes, that might be what we have to resort to.

75 degrees and I would probably be in my drysuit or my 7mm suit, as I was cold in 78 degree water in my 4/3mm suit. My partner was warm in her brand new 5mm suit though, and she only weighs 100lbs. Last time I dove Roatan, I went sans suit and was warm enough at 86 degrees, but no deco diving.

My Freedom Plate has a rail that I built and bolted on. On mine I was thinking of just unbolting the rail and using a hot soldering tip to poke a couple of holes into my old beat up backpack, then bolting it back together either over my wing or remove the wing and put it in my carry on. Maybe a quick attachment on the lower sides to keep it steady. Could move the d-ring over and use it on one side and I always have a buckle on the right side for my can light that could hold something in place.

Keeping install and removal of the backpack easy so it takes less than a couple of minutes I would consider important. Zip Ties, bolts, or anything that can be worked with easily with basic tools. Even better is thumb screws or the like. Much of it depends on the back plate you use and how it is drilled for holes.

I just wonder what TSA would say if I left my lead wedge in place??

Two can lights, two sets of regs, two computers, a few personal items, and there isn't a whole lot of extra room in my medium sized backpack that still fits under the seat.

Since I have been researching a slightly larger back pack for day hiking, maybe I should find one large enough to hold my Freedom Plate inside...

I too have an industrial sewing machine :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom