Caribe Blu vs Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
These are, I think, our top two choices. I would appreciate any input on these properties. I know Caribe Blu is a short taxi to town and the Casa offers a full breakfast...but from what I can find so far the room rates are roughly $40 - $50 more per night at Casa...that is one expensive breakfast & cab fare.

Any info to help with the final decision is great...

I have not stayed at either (yet - I will be staying at Casa Mexicana a week from today ).

From what I've heard, both are nice. Blu is right on the water, so pick up and drop off will be very easy. I think b'fast can be had just next door. Getting into town would be a brief taxi ride. At Casa Mexicana, we'll have to walk (or taxi) to a pier for boat pick up.

I considered both, but went with CM to reduce the amount we spend on taxi fares.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either, just depends on how you want to spend your $$ and time.

alcina:
These are, I think, our top two choices. I would appreciate any input on these properties. I know Caribe Blu is a short taxi to town and the Casa offers a full breakfast...but from what I can find so far the room rates are roughly $40 - $50 more per night at Casa...that is one expensive breakfast & cab fare.

larry's trip report

and what I have read about Caribe Blu on Travenotes.cc, I would pick Caribe Blue. There are several factors that appeal to me. It is right on the ocean. Their onsite dive op, Blue Angel, has a decent reputation. You can shore dive there. It cost less.

alcina:

I have never stayed at Casa Mexicana, but I have gone in there and looked around. I have stayed at Caribe Blu many times, as La Perla, Lorena, and Caribe Blu. They are very different.

Casa Mexicana is a bit plush, more like a hotel in the States. It is up an escalator from the street just south of the middle of town. There is a lot of common area, with a nice courtyard and second floor indoor swimming pool, elevators, and a bit of a "swanky" feel. It provides no easy access to the water, but you can easily walk to many restaurants. There is no dive shop on the premises, and it is a long ways from any dive boat pickup if you are walking with gear.

Caribe Blu is a little rustic, but the rooms are clean and air conditioned, and the beds are comfortable. It is right on the water with its own dock, so it is a short walk to the dive boat no matter which of the only 21 rooms you are staying in. It has a nice pool and deck area, a dive shop (Blue Angel, owned by the same folks - high marks from me) with a snack bar up over it, and a small beach area with easy access to the water. There is decent snorkeling and shore diving to be found right there. Every room has a glass wall overlooking the water, and there are hammocks under palm trees on the grounds. A cab ride to town is 35 pesos.

To me, Caribe Blu wins hands down, but YMMV according to what sort of experience you are looking for.

Cheers,

I have stayed at both.

Entirely different properties.

CM is in town; CB is out of town to the south ($3-4 USD cab ride).

CM is across the street from the water, no real beach; CB is on the water with small beach.

CM does not have a dock; CB has its own.

CM does not have an onsite dive op; Blue Angel onsite at CB.

Some shore diving off CB; no shore diving off CM.

CM includes breakfast buffet; CB must purchase food.

CM is much newer & has more amenities; CB is a recently renovated older property & has only the basics.

CB is by far the superior value is you don't need luxury & are there to dive, dive, dive.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom