Caribe Blu Sold??? Any confirmation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just booked for a week in December. I heard there are now mini-fridges in every room so I won't have to finagle getting one. They are supposedly going to upgrade the a/c units soon but that should not be much of an issue in December.

Please post a review upon your return from the December trip

Refrigerators cost, especially to run. New ACs might save electricity. I hope the new owners do well and don't have to go up much.

Refrigerators cost, especially to run. New ACs might save electricity. I hope the new owners do well and don't have to go up much.
Many of the ACs are already new, thanks to Wilma. All of them on the first floor are new, at least.

I just returned from there yesterday. The new owners took over Saturday morning. First thing Saturday one of them started moving the lobby furniture out as they bought some new furniture. some of the old stuff ended up in front of our room(room 102). all the rooms have a refrigerator now. They seemed pretty reasonable. If they can fix the water system that would be a great improvement.

We were there Oct 29-November 2. Got to talk to Jeanie and her husband at length. Also had a going away lunch with the dive shop/restaurant manager. Friday was her last day.

We were there Oct 29-November 2. Got to talk to Jeanie and her husband at length. Also had a going away lunch with the dive shop/restaurant manager. Friday was her last day.
Hmm. I just got an email from Blue Angel/Carib Blue last night (Tues, 11/11) - it was signed "Jeanie Buscher".

I'm still trying to figure out where to stay. Anyone have any comparisons between Carib Blue and Vista del Mar? VdM is less expensive and includes a coffee/juice/bread breakfast, but I like the idea of being close to but not in town also.

Jeanie is a manager. I always try to book directly with her at Caribe Blu. I have never stayed at the Vista Del Mar so I cannot comment on it but many people seem to like it. My wife and I like the Caribe Blu for a combination of reasons. All the rooms are basic but waterfront with million dollar views and the rooms above the first floor have balconies. The rooms are fairly large and are clean. We enjoy the walk into town in the evening for dinner. It is about a mile to a mile and a half depending on your destination. The dock is on the property and there is some limited shore diving. We usually buy pastries, copious amounts of fluids, and other items and keep them in the mini fridge for breakfast. It is not perfect however. There is some noise from the road and the boatyard next door. Some people have commented that the hot water occasionally disappears but that has not been a problem for us.
Good luck with your choice and enjoy Cozumel.

Last edited:
I just returned from Cozumel yesterday. It was my first time at Caribe Blu and Blue Angel, I chose them largely from reccomendations on this board. The new owners are two sisters and their husbands from Vancouver, Canada. They are all very nice people. They are making immediate improvements to the hotel, but wish to keep it as much of the original charm as possible. Some of the improvements include:

New furniture in the lobby
Coffee bar in the lobby
Moving the front desk into a new office area just south of the current desk
Rerouting the stairway from the hotel to the diveshop and restaurant
Renovating the deck in front of the dive shop and enlarging the seating space of the second floor of the restaurant towards the water
New quieter more efficient A/C units for the rooms
Improvements to the hot water system

While the construction noise was a bit bothersome, it is good to see the investment going into the property. Hopefully this does not lead to much higher rates, I don't think it will. The owners spend a lot of time in Coz and will be on-site often. I look forward to my next visit there to see the changes complete.

Jeanie has been there for 8-years and will continue to be a part of the operation. She is friendly and very helpful to everyone.

On a side note, Villas Las Anclas is currently closed while Pedro and Eyal are on a European vacation. We heard they are moving and thus that property is also for sale.

The diving with Blue Angel was awesome. A great mix of fast boats, freedom to choose sites, long bottom times, and attentive divemasters all at a great price. Jorge was just awesome. They have many repeat customers and I can see why. There was not one bad dive among the nine that I did with them. We even got to go to the seldom-dived Barracuda Wall and San Juan reef north of San Miguel. I've not heard of any changes planned for the dive operation.

Perhaps I'll post a longer trip report later.

Wife and I booked it for 10 days in January and our only hesitation was when I saw this thread about the place being sold. I emailed Jeanie and she assured me that it was a good thing! That was all I needed to know.

Can't hardly wait til then! Glad to hear about the coffee bar in the lobby. Last time I bought a coffee maker at the store and brewed my own as I was up before the restaurant opened, then I left it in the room for someone else to use.

Back
Top Bottom