carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, this thread has scared the crap out of me. I am about to go on a cruise and was going to dive when in port in Cozumel. Wasn't planning to bring a CO tester on my trip. I dive a few times/year.

Are there intermediate steps to take, like asking where each diveop gets their fills? Diving with nitrox doesn't seem like it would eliminate the problem.

Well, this thread has scared the crap out of me. I am about to go on a cruise and was going to dive when in port in Cozumel. Wasn't planning to bring a CO tester on my trip. I dive a few times/year.

Are there intermediate steps to take, like asking where each diveop gets their fills? Diving with nitrox doesn't seem like it would eliminate the problem.
Nope, most divers just risk it. You can't see it, smell it, taste it, so - like driving without seat belts before they became law. (I've had seat belts since '64, but I'm a klutz driver too.) I got a PM today from a diver who'd thot they'd perhaps had a hangover while quarry diving this weekend, but has since heard that they had bad air. Usually you never know about the marginal cases, as they get written off as travelers flu, etc. Really, you seldom hear about the worse cases as they get written off by locals as drownings, no testing - bad for business. DAN admits that they don't know.

This case and the other thread about high CO readings in Coz recently by a diver with a tester involved the most respected fill stations on the island, in much of the Latin America and Caribbean area actually. There are just no warnings usually, and there may only be one bad tank on the boat. :idk:

Well, with these recent cases, they've probly taken more precautions, you think?

Oops, shouldn't have happened in the first place, huh?

Well, whatever you decide, have a nice trip.
titanic.gif

Hi Uber,

Photo's and pricing will be up the first week of June. We will definely be able to get a unit to you in time for an August 1st adventure. <<sneek peek>>To give you and idea of its appearance, the unit is based on a very similar enclosure (same size and in black) as our Portable O2 http://www.analox.net/product-docs/datasheet-20.pdfand will be avail from the low $300's It will enable you to take a sniffer read directly from a high pressure tank or an in-line reading from a low pressure source. We will offer the unit in USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

'tis the first week of June according to my calendar......:wink:

'tis the first week of June according to my calendar......:wink:
And...?

The Analox tester will be available on their page June 16. Seems to be a variation of existing models - C-Squared Inc - Gas Analyzers - for $100 less = $339, but old technology maybe. We're waiting on the details. I may be more inclined to suggest a different existing model, depending on details.

Photo's and pricing will be up the first week of June.

sorry.... just taking someone at their word.... :pinocchio:

maybe I missed another post in another thread....:idk:...

I agree... if it's just the same as something that's already out there (and no easier to use) then bringing it to market it hardly an achievement....

sorry.... just taking someone at their word.... :pinocchio:

maybe I missed another post in another thread....:idk:...

I agree... if it's just the same as something that's already out there (and no easier to use) then bringing it to market it hardly an achievement....
Sure, I just wasn't clear on your meaning, and yeah - it's been on one or more other threads. See her post here then open the thread for subsequent remarks.

Maybe they improved on the old model at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom