carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The move by PADI to no longer require quarterly testing seems counterproductive. If our own certifying agencies are NOT requiring regular air quality checks, won't this create a vacuum that our ravenously growing government would be only too happy to fill?

"Counterproductive"!!!! Doesn't that depend on whether you want to produce safety for divers or profit for yourself and your customers?

"Counterproductive"!!!! Doesn't that depend on whether you want to produce safety for divers or profit for yourself and your customers?

Yes, it does depend awap :)

It is counterproductive to the dive industry's efforts to regulate themselves. Dropping the ball by not requiring quarterly testing doesn't seem like a good move regarding safety.

Doesn't Florida already regulate the air quality for scuba?

When it comes to self regulation as of late the scuba industry does not have a good track record Just look at how visual inspections have been handled not to mention 6351 cylinders.

Doesn't Florida already regulate the air quality for scuba?

When it comes to self regulation as of late the scuba industry does not have a good track record Just look at how visual inspections have been handled not to mention 6351 cylinders.
Florida, the US DoT, and other government agencies have rules, and some of them are enforced. It's more of a risk south of the US and overseas.

Glad you made it ... I have an aversion to cattle-car-dive locations

Scary. I'll want a CO tester now.
Analox should have a new one out in a month. Hoping for the best price and user friendliness, but there are a few available now for around $300 done right. The one I have works ok, but I wouldn't suggest it really.

It makes little sense that any established filling station doesn't shell out the $786 bucks for an in-line analyzer...
Analox CO Clear: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe.

I know times are hard and all but good grief! If I were wanting a market differentiator and a leg up on the competition it is a paltry investment!

I will by the personal Analox as soon as it becomes available.....which got me to thinking... why would they push sales of the in-line tester to the filling stations? Simple economics for them.... say there are 3 or 4 filling stations on Coz.... they stand to make $2400-$3200..... now if 20% of the divers who visit Coz hand over $350+ for the personal version, what is that going to net them??? There are about 0.5 million visitors to the Island (and 3.6 million cruise ship visitors a year) ... even if we take a sample of the people who stay on the island and exclude the cruise folks we could estimate(conservatively) that 20% are divers and say 20% of the divers buy a hand-held unit the gross sales prospect is around $7 million....

now...where was that grassy knoll??:wink:

Well, the inline monitor would cost more like $1,000 USD installed in the US, and importing to Cozumel has challenges and costs; just being reasonable with expectations.

However, inline monitors are very rare south of the US. They shouldn't be, but insurance companies don't require them there as no one is going to sue - too costly and too little chance of getting much. As always: when you leave the US, you leave the US. :biggrin:

There just hasn't been much demand for quality assurance among divers. Most agencies and DAN have done little with the risk, and it's common to think that if the DM is happy diving the air - then it must be ok, false that that is. News of previous incidents and deaths around the Caribbean and Latin America have been suppressed as bad for business so the problem has long been overlooked. Today, it's still not that popular of an idea but it needs to be addressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom