carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes little sense that any established filling station doesn't shell out the $786 bucks for an in-line analyzer...
Analox CO Clear: Analox - Looking after the air you breathe.

I know times are hard and all but good grief! If I were wanting a market differentiator and a leg up on the competition it is a paltry investment!

I will by the personal Analox as soon as it becomes available.....which got me to thinking... why would they push sales of the in-line tester to the filling stations? Simple economics for them.... say there are 3 or 4 filling stations on Coz.... they stand to make $2400-$3200..... now if 20% of the divers who visit Coz hand over $350+ for the personal version, what is that going to net them??? There are about 0.5 million visitors to the Island (and 3.6 million cruise ship visitors a year) ... even if we take a sample of the people who stay on the island and exclude the cruise folks we could estimate(conservatively) that 20% are divers and say 20% of the divers buy a hand-held unit the gross sales prospect is around $7 million....

now...where was that grassy knoll??:wink:

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I'm inclined to agree. I went through the same mental analysis - there's really only a few 'filling stations' that present themselves as possible customers for the 'CO Clear'. Analox is on the eve of launching what is for them a new product for divers - there are many more divers than fillers.

In reality, Analox probably has nothing to be concerned about - they could sell solutions to both ends of the market. Why (?) - most businesses in Cozumel are oriented toward hiding information, the concept of PR - improving products/services, generating free publicity for having done so, building brand and loyalty - is something that seems not to have caught on yet. They don't seem to comprehend that they are sitting on a marketing opportunity that would give them a leg up on the competition.

A day ago, I composed a post suggesting the points noted above, I ditched it thinking I was being a little too hasty and rash. Prior to that point in time:
  • I had had email communication with Analox in Southern Calif - asking them to contact Meridiano specifically.
  • I then had a voice call with the same office. Granted, they don't owe me anything in the way of update info, but I was hoping. I got a little suspicious when I did the tour of Meridiano a few weeks ago - when I brought up the issue of the CO Clear, I didn't hear anything like 'Oh yes, we've been contacted by those folks and they are sending us specs and pricing'. It was "Yes, we'd consider installing that product".
  • Thinking that the problem might be that the UK office was in charge of international marketing, I went looking for and found Michele's email address here at Scubaboard. Her profile indicates she's in the UK, she left a post last year asking for suggestions on how Analox could improve. I sent her an email asking her to contact Meridiano. That was on the 15th. No response. No un-deliverable bounced mail. No 'I'm on vacation' thingy. Nothing.
  • Not wanting to jump to the wrong conclusions, on May 22 I did a follow-up email to the Analox office in SoCal. Told them about my tour of Meridiano and the post here on SB to that effect, told them about my email to Analox UK (with no response), told them about RubberDucky's finding of excess CO in Meridiano tanks, encouraged them that the timing was right to contact Meridiano, asked them to give me some feedback.

So, let's see, I've contacted Analox 4 separate times. Hmmm.

I've waited long enough, I think "Uber" has hit the nail on the head.

Whooooa beachnik,
I need to address some of your points. On March 5th you contacted me and suggested I contact Dive Palancar regarding the COClear. I wrote back to you on the same day and let you know Dive Palancar has already contacted us and that we had ineed provided them with information on the CO Clear. To which you replied on March 5th:
"Thanks Patti - appreciate."
You wrote a follow up on May 22nd...Saturday... to which my first opportunity to respond is, in fact, Monday (today).

Bottom line: Analox has been in the business of protecting diver safety for over 29 years. We saw the need for a hand held CO monitor and responded immediately. Our CO Portable unit is in final production and will be ready for divers to purchase via our website mid June, as promised.

Regarding Meridiano: They did receive information and a quote on the COClear in March of this year. I cannot force them to buy my unit or any other CO monitor. The real power to influence the purchasing desicion of any dive operation remains with you, their customer.

As others here will certainly confirm, I am personally active on this forum as I believe it to be a central source of real diver safty issues. When Analox can make a difference, we step up.

Lastly, your concerns regarding CO are valid and certain level of passion is understandable, but beachnik, even I get the weekend off sometimes!

Happy and Safe Diving!

Anyway, I don't think stations will add monitors because a few divers ask for them. I went thru that and asking to see test records to no avail.

What will force stations into using monitors, and maintaining them well, is a sufficient number of divers testing their tanks and complaining or refusing, then reporting here. They can ignore a few, but how many?

Glad to hear the portable Anaolox CO is still coming, and I can see where this would benefit Analox on both sides - selling portable units and embarrassing the stations into getting the inline units they should have had for years, and I am grateful for their actions. Hope these are profitable enough to continue making the portable units, as others have been tried and failed due to diver apathy.

I remember a Canadian Inst I met in Roatan saying "Good, if you're checking then ours must be okay." :silly: That might work up north where they have strict and enforced regulations, but not down south - and his logic was very flawed. I started to say something mean, but I didn't. Nice fellow, just not aware.

Bottom line: Analox has been in the business of protecting diver safety for over 29 years. We saw the need for a hand held CO monitor and responded immediately. Our CO Portable unit is in final production and will be ready for divers to purchase via our website mid June, as promised.

Great news!
1. Is there any way we can pre-order? I want mine by August 1st.
2. Will the unit be available in Canada as well as the US?
3. Is there a preview of the unit? Nice to have an idea of what it will look like...
4. cuánto? cuánto? cuánto?:huh:

Regarding Meridiano: They did receive information and a quote on the COClear in March of this year.

Patti,

Thank you for contacting Meridiano and offering the CO Clear to them. You have my apology for coming to the wrong conclusion about Analox's motivations.

There's a few more things that I want to say about this subject and I'll do so in an email to you shortly.

beachnik,
Apologies and thanks are headed your way as well. This is an important issue and I do appreciate your passion and previously stated support of Analox Sensor Technology. I believe we are both motivated by the same desire to enhance diver safety.

Hi Uber,

Photo's and pricing will be up the first week of June. We will definely be able to get a unit to you in time for an August 1st adventure. <<sneek peek>>To give you and idea of its appearance, the unit is based on a very similar enclosure (same size and in black) as our Portable O2 http://www.analox.net/product-docs/datasheet-20.pdfand will be avail from the low $300's It will enable you to take a sniffer read directly from a high pressure tank or an in-line reading from a low pressure source. We will offer the unit in USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

beachnik,
Apologies and thanks are headed your way as well. This is an important issue and I do appreciate your passion and previously stated support of Analox Sensor Technology. I believe we are both motivated by the same desire to enhance diver safety.

Thanks Patti.

Looking forward to the new personal CO tester from Analox.

Peace.

Well, I wasted over $200 on the portable unit and calibration kit I've been using as it took me a few trips to figure out how to use it right in the field - but we're making progress.

I hope that a significant percentage of divers will plan to acquire and use these, on every dive as just because one tank is okay does not mean the next one will be. If the operators know that customers are finally starting to check their air (how important can that be?), then they will be more likely to ensure they deliver clean air rather than marginal qualities.

And keep checking the tanks even if you never get a reading, and even if the op claims to have an inline monitor. Things change quickly.

If we want this sport to remain self regulating, we have to do our part, some of us anyway...!

Patti,
Any word on the personal co detector. Your sales department does not seem to know anything about it. Going out of the country on July 3 and would love to have one of these in hand.

Back
Top Bottom