carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope...going to buy a tester, but don't know yet which one...

I bought the new Analox CO detector. Used it on a trip last week. It could not be easier to use. Just turn it on and hold it up to the tank for a few seconds and you get a reading. I was able to test 6 tanks in about a minute. The directions were not as clear as could be. I placed a phone call to Analox and Patti got on the phone with me immediately and cleared up the confusion (or maybe I am not that bright). It comes calibrated and if used at the same altitude (sea level) Analox claims it does not need to be recalibrated for a year. It is easier to use than a nitrox tester.

If you are going to regularly calibrate it you will need to purchase a bottle of CO from a local supply company and a regulator. I have ordered both. Cost is about another $175.00.

I dive with my teenage daughter. I am already spending thousands of dollars to travel outside of the US. Why not a few hundred more for peace of mind.

Gabe I'm going to quote you on another thread about testers, currently linked in my sig.

"Hold it up to the tank"...could you elaborate on this a bit more?

Thanks for your feedback...Looks like the Analox CO will be the tester for me too. Too bad it is too late for me to buy it for our trip to Cancun in a few days.

I bought the new Analox CO detector. Used it on a trip last week. It could not be easier to use. Just turn it on and hold it up to the tank for a few seconds and you get a reading...

should the air contain 0ppm of CO? I assume so since it is essentially poisonous, e.g. if 2-4ppm is detected is that safe to dive with or dangerous or just not recommended..

Thanks
James

should the air contain 0ppm of CO? I assume so since it is essentially poisonous, e.g. if 2-4ppm is detected is that safe to dive with or dangerous or just not recommended..

Thanks
James
Government accepted limits for scuba air...
Canada's diving CO spec for air is 5 ppm

USA with its CGA Grade E is 10 ppm

Australia is 10 ppm

Britain has the tightest CO spec at 3 ppm.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/PUBNS/dvis9.pdf

Rest of Europe is 15 ppm

Most of the diving world - not controlled​
Hope that helps...?

very much so, thanks :) just because this thread has made me want to buy an CO detector and to be honest I don't know what the readings means (I'm a rookie :) )

Anh-Check out the directions on the Analox website. It is quite simple. You turn the switch to on. Crack the tank just a little. Hold the CO tester up to the tank (the flow restrictor is dome shaped so it fits into the tank) wait a few seconds and you get the reading. Analox will ship it via overnight delivery in the US so hopefully you can get it before your trip.

I bought the new Analox CO detector. Used it on a trip last week. It could not be easier to use. Just turn it on and hold it up to the tank for a few seconds and you get a reading. I was able to test 6 tanks in about a minute. The directions were not as clear as could be. I placed a phone call to Analox and Patti got on the phone with me immediately and cleared up the confusion (or maybe I am not that bright). It comes calibrated and if used at the same altitude (sea level) Analox claims it does not need to be recalibrated for a year. It is easier to use than a nitrox tester.

If you are going to regularly calibrate it you will need to purchase a bottle of CO from a local supply company and a regulator. I have ordered both. Cost is about another $175.00.

I dive with my teenage daughter. I am already spending thousands of dollars to travel outside of the US. Why not a few hundred more for peace of mind.

I just priced this analyzer and seems reasonable till I discovered the specs on the website:

Specification
Range: 0 to 100ppm
Accuracy: + or - 1ppm
Sensor life: Expected 18months in room air
Sensor warranty: 12 months
Display: 3 digit
Power: 3 AAA batteries
Operating temperature: 32 to 122 DegF
Operating humidity: 10 to 95% RH

Sensor life 18 months? Typcally gas analyser sensor cells are the primary cost of gas analyzer units. With this being just over the $300 mark has anyone priced the sensor for this unit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom