Cannabis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great post, and I would love to see more studies done on it. I am not a drug user but I love my beer. However I think that you can apply the rule with drinking to THC. I usually don't drink 24 hours before a dive, but I will never drink 12 hours before a dive. I am a college student who loves beer, but I appreciate living too much to risk drinking before diving. I like the method of diving then drinking. I know I am safe and can enjoy my brew.

Yeah, if you go to WSU you have to love beer. It's the only thing that passes the time, aside form leaving Pullman (but not just to go to Moscow). :rofl3:

A thousand pardons, I don't use illegal drugs. Figured that was clear enough without further explanation. Apparently not. :)

I stayed at the Crown Victoria, across from Centraal Station on Prins Hendrikstraat back in '02 and '05...

Lovely... more canals than Venice... Lots of museums... (Loved the 18th cent. Frigate at the Ship museum!)...

Maybe Someday we'll be able to experience That level of Freedom here... in the Land of the Free ... *ahem*...

OK do I really have to be this spacific. Apparently so.

This is a great post, and I would love to see more studies done on it. I am not an illegal drug user, in accordance to Washington Administratice Code (WAC) but I love my beer. However I think that you can apply the rule with drinking to THC. I usually don't drink 24 hours before a dive, but I will never drink 12 hours before a dive. I am a college student who loves beer, but I appreciate living too much to risk drinking before diving. I like the method of diving then drinking. I know I am safe and can enjoy my brew.

Clear enough. Hope so

I understand that depending on where you are, your drug of choice may be illegal, however I would imagine that one might see that I am from Washington State and research that THC is Illegal in this state. A little research never killed anyone.

Cheers :)

Hmm, just a tad late on this thread, but ill shoot some new life into it.

Reading through the thread I noticed how the majority of authors lumped Cannabis with booze, like only smoking the night before a dive. Curiously, im going to ask why. Chemically, THC is not alcohol, therefore the biological effects, and the routes taken to avoid incident should be void when comparing the two depressants. As mentioned, pot, being Schedule 1, makes it kind of hard for there to be any research done, aside from studies done on users, but i find it doubtful that once there is research done one will follow the same rules one does with alcohol. For all we know, there could be no side effect other then perhaps the enhanced symptoms of narcosis and the munchies. Maybe these are just my inner hopes and dreams coming to light, because to be honest, I can think of nothing more relaxing then how awesome it would be to smoke a really fat bowl on the beach before strapping on my fins, reckless though it sounds (or possibly is). Surely an experienced user could handle the intoxication on a shallow easy dive. Sadly, I dont really feel like the being the one to try it and die for the rest of you to find out.

Ernest Campbell's, MD, webpage (I would repost the link, but am still new to the board and cant post urls) about marijuana and diving is errant, void and filled with flaw. Even with its "disclaimer" at the beginning of the page, It should be taken with a grain of salt.

"Marijuana is a "gateway drug". Children who smoke pot are 85 times more likely to use cocaine than non marijuana users."

I would say that assumption has proven completely false. The primary basis for this "gateway hypothesis" is a recent report by the center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA), claiming that marijuana users are 85 times more likely than non-marijuana users to try cocaine. This figure, using data from NIDA's 1991 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse, is close to being meaningless. It was calculated by dividing the proportion of marijuana users who have ever used cocaine (17%) by the proportion of cocaine users who have never used marijuana (.2%). The high risk-factor obtained is a product not of the fact that so many marijuana users use cocaine but that so many cocaine users used marijuana previously.

"A roadside study of reckless drivers not believed to be impaired by alcohol found that 45% tested positive for marijuana."

Seriously? 45%? Where is this guy getting his information? Is this data from one city? from a state? The whole nation? Personally, I think this data has not been filtered efficiently. What kind of test were they given? Blood? Urine? Hair? Swab? All 4 of them will test positive for anyone whose smoked within a month of being tested, most even longer! If anything, all these study does is show that 45% of reckless drivers who were involved in accidents at some point smoked marijuana, never stating they were in fact under the influence. And considering I can't find any information on this "study" and along with about every other "study" on his webpage was done in the late 80's - early 90's, I declare it void.

"· Tar content of marijuana is significantly greater than cigarettes, with more carcinogens.
Risks to diver of cascading events leading to near-drowning or arterial gas embolism."

Im curious how tar contributes to a arterial gas embolism.
Maybe someone could enlighten me on this one.
And what about marijuana users who don't smoke, but perhaps eat, or vaporize the plant so smoking, along with its degenerative effects is no longer an issue.
This is just starting to sound like an attack on Cannabis.

"Risk to divers -- severe marine infections."
What?

I dont mean to sound preachy on the marijuana issue. Im just from a different generation and community. Though obviously, the Doctor is too. Much respect for whatever your viewpoint is on pot, Im just stating mine. :coffee:

So, lets see if i took the correct facts away from that. Very interesting btw.

In summary the more pressure the rats were put under the less they felt the effects of THC?

So, lets see if i took the correct facts away from that. Very interesting btw.

In summary the more pressure the rats were put under the less they felt the effects of THC?

Basically yes, but it's just 1 study, so hardly definitive.

If you'd like the whole thing in PDF, PM me your email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom