Can you zip your back entry DS yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I've been diving with a nice old Whites drysuit for a while now. It's a back entry suit (zipper is right across the back of my shoulders). I normally have my buddy zip it, but, for dives when he isn't there I hate asking a wetsuit diver who may not undestand that the zipper is old and costs $500 or in the future I may be alone, in which case do you think I should be able to zip the suit myself?

Is it risky to reach back and zip blind? Do you do it? Anyone use a reaching stick?

Thanks

i did my Viking back zipper myself every dive. i added a small leangth of cord to make it ez and i always checked it in my car mirror to make sure it was all the way over and not pinching my UG.

Andy

you can do it but... you run the risk of damaging your zipper and/or/by catching some undergarment in it.

When I zip folks up I always take care to pull the zip out away from the ug and run a finger inside as I zip to make sure that ug does not get caught. Hard to do this yourself though as Andy says it can be done.

One thing that I have used on the boat was a strategically place hook that I could catch the zipper pull loop on... that way I could lean away slightly while turning my body to zip the suit up.

The more important proceedure was self-un-zipping... and in the old days of same ocean buddy diving... before I had a front entry suit and a p-valve... it was a necessity.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The more important proceedure was self-un-zipping... and in the old days of same ocean buddy diving... before I had a front entry suit and a p-valve... it was a necessity.

He's doing the pp dance!

I've heard in one of those "urban scuba legends" discussions talk of not unzipping the new guy...Yikes!:mdance: :banana: :cluck:

I have a buddy who will take your head off if you try to touch her zipper. She zips and unzips using a tool she picked up at a pet store. It looks like a very long (1½ - 2 ft) bolt snap with a trigger. It works well for her.

An instructor I know uses snaps a carabiner to his truck and uses that to zip up his shoulder entry suit. Neat trick, but I would still prefer that something with eyes verify the zipper sealed o.k.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom