Can you say Hernia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear about 21kgs of weight which is 46.2 pounds and could handle it empty no problem.Full? Now that's another story.
Would you need a special buoyancy device to combat the extra weight? At 12m I could run that thing for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.I do a 125 for 2 1/2 hours.I use that one and do multiple dives without the need to change tanks.It's gotta cost alot of moolah,I bet....But the challenge...Hmmmmm...
Cheers Ears
The Gasman

Originally posted by Mario S Caner
I just wanted to take a minute to talk about and share with those whom don't know... my views on the big daddy of all scuba cylinders. The goliath of em all, the one that only Arnold himself could double up is the 190cuft Steel beast made by Heiser/Beauchat.

The crazy cylinder has a working pressure of 4400psi, has an 8 inch outside diameter and a height of 31.3 inches. The 87lb cylinder has a negative buoyancy of 62.3 lbs when full and a negative buoyancy of 46.86 lbs when empty! Does anyone on the boards know of anyone that can dive with this refridgerator strapped to their backs? Holy Cow! My motto has always been to "Go big or go home!" but this is going too far!

Heiser = Heavy, Heiser uses a billet pierce method of manufacturing. Good for storage tanks, but not for diving.

TI

Looks like Thomas is the guy to go to when we have a cylinder question. Good to have you around Thomas!

Thrilled to you here, Thomas. Now if you have any PS high pressure tanks lying around that you don't need, i can supply them with a good home. :)

Well Hi there Thomas :). Glad that you could join us! I've been diving the Aquaaire LP's lately. They are grand! Let me know if you ever want to part with some!

-kate

Hey, I've seen one of these beasts!! Saw it at DEMA a few years ago, could barely get it off the floor. Can't believe it was meant to be strapped to a diver's back! Is that 87 pounds empty, because 190 cu ft of air weighs another 15 pounds?
Neil

I used to work for Beuchat USA a few years back and the 190s were a nightmare! They required special valves that we couldn't get and they were WAY too heavy for the average diver to use. We did find that many people were just using them as portable filling stations. In other words, they would top off their other cylinders with the gas (usually nitrox) from the biggie. The biggest problem that dealers had with these was that most didn't realize that they were only 190 cubic foot when filled to 4400 psi and that their compressors were going to toast themselves if they pumped that high regularly. Filling them to 3300 psi only yielded 140 cubic feet. for the weight and buoyancy characteristics, it just wasn't worth it.

The more popular cylinders were the 120s and the 140s. Those could be filled by just about any compressor and, while still fairly heavy, buoyancy was manageable.

In the late 90s Beuchat dumpped cylinders all together ... about the only smart thing they have done in the last ten years! (OOPS!! Sorry ... personal opinion injected there!)

Just my $.02

Ray

Back
Top Bottom