Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel more comfortable in a free flow situation to take my bc off (yes, it happened once) and hold it where I can see the valve and turn it on and off quickly if I have conserve air while ascending. I'm not that flexible anymore to reach over my shoulder and turn if on and off if I had too.

Hank49:
I feel more comfortable in a free flow situation to take my bc off (yes, it happened once) and hold it where I can see the valve and turn it on and off quickly if I have conserve air while ascending. I'm not that flexible anymore to reach over my shoulder and turn if on and off if I had too.

Nice solution. You can reach your tank valve!:D

do it easy:
I agree that there are good and better ways to deal with problems, but why limit yourself?

Finally, a sensible man.

To the other posts, I won't respond. It's been said before: other common skills will save you.

I would argue that it's smarter to focus on practicing a core set of skills than to learn a large set of skills. If you can save yourself with x amount of skills, then why should you learn 2x skills? I'd rather know how to do the core x skills VERY well.

We don't need new skills to save ourselves in the dreamt up situations. We should focus on being more comfortable with our already complete toolkit. And yes, we can always get better, as they may save our life one day.

Thoughts?

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
9 pages of "oh this is so useful" talk, and nobody can give a concrete example of why.

Chilly, you've been given many reasons, you just choose to reject them. You keep stating that there are other responses that could be done. You've mentioned "drop the weights" many times.

When you work on your car, do you only use a hammer?

Can't get the bolt loose? Use a hammer!
Can't open the window? Use a hammer!
Have a flat tire? Use a hammer!
Mother-in-law keeps telling you what your doing wrong in your driving? Use a hammer!

(Ok, maybe the last one is appropriate :D)

The point is, I like to have a variety of tools to use. If I have a freeflow at depth, yes, I WILL be going on an air-share. But I will ALSO be turning off my air to preserve it in case it is needed before we hit the surface. The goal here is to preserve the air the team has available.

Also, sometimes a problem can be fixed (not just mitigated) by turning off the valve. An unseated o-ring requires the pressure to be removed and can then be fixed. So even a simple off-on can mean the difference between aborting the dive and doing the dive. This is more of a convenience than an emergency, but it still applies.

I a bit hungry now. I'm going to go use a hammer. :D

Later.

ChillyWaters:
Finally, a sensible man.

To the other posts, I won't respond. It's been said before: other common skills will save you.

I would argue that it's smarter to focus on practicing a core set of skills than to learn a large set of skills. If you can save yourself with x amount of skills, then why should you learn 2x skills? I'd rather know how to do the core x skills VERY well.

We don't need new skills to save ourselves in the dreamt up situations. We should focus on being more comfortable with our already complete toolkit. And yes, we can always get better, as they may save our life one day.

Thoughts?

- ChillyWaters

What common skill would you use while your reg is freeflowing and your buddy has his head stuffed in a hole, wrestling with a bug?

ChillyWaters:
Thoughts?

- ChillyWaters

Confidence builder just like simulating losing your mask. Having an instructor turn off your air unexpectedly and you being able to deal with that problem underwater helps you build confidence and deal with stress.

Question, radinator, if you have a free flow at depth how does reaching back to turn tank off help you? Now you're out of air, for all intents and purposes. Would it not be better to sip air to the surface? Am I missing something?

radinator:
Chilly, you've been given many reasons, you just choose to reject them. You keep stating that there are other responses that could be done. You've mentioned "drop the weights" many times.

When you work on your car, do you only use a hammer?

Can't get the bolt loose? Use a hammer!
Can't open the window? Use a hammer!
Have a flat tire? Use a hammer!
Mother-in-law keeps telling you what your doing wrong in your driving? Use a hammer!

(Ok, maybe the last one is appropriate :D)

The point is, I like to have a variety of tools to use. If I have a freeflow at depth, yes, I WILL be going on an air-share. But I will ALSO be turning off my air to preserve it in case it is needed before we hit the surface. The goal here is to preserve the air the team has available.

Also, sometimes a problem can be fixed (not just mitigated) by turning off the valve. An unseated o-ring requires the pressure to be removed and can then be fixed. So even a simple off-on can mean the difference between aborting the dive and doing the dive. This is more of a convenience than an emergency, but it still applies.

I a bit hungry now. I'm going to go use a hammer. :D

Later.

pilot fish:
Question, radinator, if you have a free flow at depth how does reaching back to turn tank off help you? Now you're out of air, for all intents and purposes. Would it not be better to sip air to the surface? Am I missing something?

If you can reach your valve, you can feather it on and off as required. THis will allow you to actually do a safe ascent.

dherbman:
What common skill would you use while your reg is freeflowing and your buddy has his head stuffed in a hole, wrestling with a bug?

We dealt with freeflowing in OW training.

First, if free flows are common, perhaps adjust your reg better, or get a better reg. Second, you know how to breath from a free flow right? That should get you to your buddy, or allow you to ascend.

- ChillyWaters

dherbman:
If you can reach your valve, you can feather it on and off as required. THis will allow you to actually do a safe ascent.

Sounds like you might want to slip out of your BC instead of reach back? Not sure abut that. Would sip air on ascent be a better alternative?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom