Can we protect marine environement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

;-(Most divers never really observe the sea. They just swim about looking at the colorful fish and sometimes catch a glimpse of a lobster or eel. I was that type for years. On a shoot for a TV show called "Today's Diver" (it was canceled) I spent a day with Chris Reeve and Dee Scarr. Dee took us around a little part of a reef and showed us all kinds of little things that changed my whole outlook of a "living reef". Now I can spend an entire dive in one spot watching the wonders of the marine environment. The experience definitely made me think twice about grabbing on to things to help me stabilize while I am filming!

One fact that needs to be addressed that not many divers and/or boaters realize is the damage anchoring a boat does. Resorts know the damage an anchor can do and most have done something about it. I dive mostly off the coast of California and find myself taking forever to anchor my boat. My fear of raking and/or destroying the bottom is always present. It would be nice if some organizing was formed to visit all commonly dove dive sites and put in some sort of mooring buoys. This would be one step in saving reefs and sea life.

Dear all

In 1983, the Egyptian Parliament passed law 102, covering various areas of the Red Sea, including the Ras Mohammed Marine Park near Sharm el Sheikh. I give you a (very) loose translation of some of the provisions of that law:

- Remove nothing from the sea or the beach, no matter if it is alive, dead or fossilized.
- Never drive directly onto a beach with an automobile
- Do not throw ANYTHING into the sea or leave anything on the beach.
- Do NOT throw anchors onto the reef, but use the specially provided anchor buoys
-NO harpooning or fishing in the protected zones
-NO harpooning in scuba equipment
-NO feeding of fish, as it changes their feeding patterns
-Neophyte divers are limited to areas where they can cause no/least damage

This is a portion, loosely translated, as I said, but it all makes sense to me.

In the interim, a law was passed that prohibits ANY plastic bags aboard ship, and a divers' tax of $5 per day which goes into an "environmental pot".

Strangely enough, in spite of the laws, i saw while diving:

filthy shredded plastic bags floating around
forks (!) stuck into the reef
weights
cans
...and other such nonsense, which really got my gander up!

...not to mention all the oil supertankers hanging around in the Gulf of Suez...

gozumutti wonders where it is all going......

gozumutti

You make a good point. It takes only a few who won't respect environmental laws to ruin it for everyone.

I found this site while surfing, and although I think it was probably designed to educate kids....the impact of the first graph is staggering....take a look everyone, but I warn you....it is disheartening.

http://www.jp.kids-commons.net/vc96/vc-13/ocean_pollution/ocean1.html

Bio Guy

Dear bio guy

SCARY site....I hope everyone has a look at it though. Why is it that everyone seems to agree with "environmental protection" in general but not practice it in particular!!!

and re: invasive species: not only in the states.

http://www.parlament.ch/afs/data/d/gesch/1997/d_gesch_19971055.htm

I dunno if you read German by any chance, but here is a site describing the invasion of certain waters in Switzerland by a crayfish endemic in the US....

gozumutti

bioguy, That's a scary website, it makes me want to be more active about conservationalism... it also makes me want to dive more just to be able to dive before we all need biosuits to get into the water... not that there would be anything left to see in the Sea :(

Goz

Thanks for the link. Invasive species is sort of my area. They didn't list the species name, but it sounds very similar to what is given the common name of rusty crayfish here. It is also invading the rivers and lakes here in Canada, since it was spread by people fishing (bait). Your link mentioned them being aggressive. The Rusty's definitely are. I have come across a few in the St. Lawrence river at Lake Ontario and they are not frightened. Instead of scooting under the nearest rock, I have seen them stand their ground and face me head on. I have also observed them walking near resting bass....something unheard of with the native species.

Here are two pictures of what the rusty looks like to compare with yours
http://www.uku.fi/~mannonen/or.jpg

http://www.great-lakes.net/envt/flora-fauna/invasive/rusty.html
The last also has some other interesting info for those people interested in environmental issues regarding water.

Mario......didn't mean to turn the thread to doom and gloom, but seeing the numbers on the oil chart sorta shocked me.

Bio guy

Bio guy,
Help me to understand the concern over the rusty crayfish, it looks like the common crayfish I am use to seeing here in the rivers, lakes, streams, and ponds of Oklahoma. They don't seem to be taking over here. They are one of the Largemouth Bass' favorite foods. All of the fishing tackle manuf. even make lures to resemble them.
Also if you attend DEMA this year you can find out that they are truly tasty.
Seems to me the great lakes could make lemonade out of these lemons.

Just a thought.

Don

P.S. The oil link is scary. Keep up the good work and keep us informed.

Don

These red crayfish are apparently not tasty...the Swiss tried them, as an alternative to getting rid of them via huge applications of Fenthion, but not even the Swiss would eat 'em....

Goz,
Maybe the Swiss could import a Cajun, as they have the distinct ability to make anything from the water taste wonderful.
Just a thought, doncha know.

Don

Dear Don #17

Is this one of your cruel sado personalities? *g* Here I am, living in a LANDLOCKED country, away from my beloved Chesapeake and all the accompanying seafood dishes, and you say to me "cajun" (slobber slurp) which I don't have a snowball's chance in h*** seeing withing the next years....I can only get disgusting frozen fish

*gozu breaks down sobbing for seafood at this point*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom