Can we protect marine environement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This type of thing truely maks me sick to my stomach! What a shame, and in such a beautiful place! :fury:

How long will it be before our oceans, lakes and streams are covered by oil slicks and other man made scum and trash?

How long will it be before scuba diving will have to be done in hazmat suits?

How long will it be before we kill out all the fishes and mammals in the sea?

How long will it be before we destroy the truly greatest wonder on our planet, our oceans?

How long will it be before their beauty and mystery is just a memory?

How long will it be before we say I remember when....

I hope either we turn this trend around or I am dead and gone, as I shudder to think what it would be like to live a life without them.

Don

The tanker in question was delivering fuel to the Galapagos main port - that's how "those type of vessels" get there. They screwed up and ran aground, a tragedy - but they were on legitimate business.
As for all the "how long until" questions, let's work toward "never."
Rick

You're right Rick...Oil is what runs the world we live in today and the crew were on an honest days run....It was a reaction to the hearing the fact that the islands lie right along accepted main shipping lanes that makes me angry.

:grrr:

Makes no difference if was legit or not, the fact is everything we touch we screw up. Man should have never occupied the Galapagos Islands to begin with.

"Call someplace Paradise, then kiss it good-bye"
The Eagles

Don

I didn't quite express myself the way I wanted to. I wasn't suggesting that it was acceptable or that human's should be allowed these accidents....far from it. In fact, as far as I'm concerned there are no "non-sensitive" sites in the ocean anywhere. Obviously the galapagos are in a class of themselves and are more sensitive than some. What I meant to point out from Rick's post is that it is our modern way of life that gets humans into these messes. Boats needs gas and oil, that gas and oil has to be brought to the island to be distributed. It could just as easily have been a ship coming in to supply barbados. It is the uniqueness of the galapagos that makes this that much worse. The world wildlife fund and others have called for a change in the shipping lanes around the galapagos. If governments (which remains to be seen) listen it may keep the larger supertankers away from what really is a place unlike any other on the earth.

Here is a good link
http://www.ccm.net/~jsruiz/galapago.htm

Bio guy

This is a very interesting discussion. You dscussed biological polution (those carbs) and chemical oilspills and such. But what about the mecanical damage?

Our local problem are the new very fast hydrofoil boats. They displace so much water that the shallow areas experience much larger waves/surges than normal when the boats passes. They should be enviromental neutral (discounting the rather large amount of fuel they consumes) but diving you can see that the sand pattern has changes dramatical. I don't know how severe this effect is but there seems to be a lot less seasnails in the area.

Just my two ører (=our local "cents")

I don't think I have met a diver that didn't care for the environment. Something about the first dip below the water on that first openwater dive that changes many people. This thread has shown that our marine and freshwater environments are definitely a passionate area in many people's lives....and this is a good thing. It is the very reason that I have great hope for our oceans and lakes.

But something that just hit me as I was reading damedykker's post. If it wasn't for divers...would we really see and understand the impact our societies are having on the environment? As far as I'm concerned, responsible divers are our best hope to save our oceans and lakes. Many areas now have fish and diversity counting/monitoring programs...How about joining one in your local area (or starting one)...or if you are on a diving vacation, spending 1/2 a day with such a program is a great way to learn the local fish and invert populations. It is unbelievable how much more you can get out of a visit to a reef when you are intimately aware of the different species and interactions you are seeing...and it helps keep an eye on the health of those systems.

Bio guy

Don (#1) Despite all the joking around you do, you do come up with some real wonderous, thought-provoking statements. I agree with Rick M, I too pray the answer is never.

Back
Top Bottom