Can we protect marine environement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly cant find the words to describe how I feel about the galapogos accident. I will say this, I wept when I heard the news.

Dear Mrs Don and all

Yes, it is one of the things that gets me up on a soapbox, shouting and foaming at the mouth...

...and I am foaming and weeping now, key word here "galapagos"

I am devastated and starting to think that there will be nothing left of the planet in 10 years...or less...

Greed and ignorance in tandem cause these catastrophes.

gozu

Hey, I'm the exception to the rule, I have brains to match my good looks!

Serious: Maybe we could push for stiffer maritime laws, such as.
If an incident occurs, the captain is held liable 1st then the shipping company next. That would make them more concious of what they are doing and might take different actions.

If this captain new he would go to jail if he messed up, would he have been more careful?
Just how do you run a ship aground? Somebody help me here.
Same way in Australia on the Great Barrier Reef, how'd that happen?
Are they putting a bunch of morons in the wheel house of these ships or what?

You know, I once thought Green Peace was a bunch of radicals, but now I find myself believing in their cursade more and more.

Don

Perhaps better technology would have changed the outcome. I watched footage of the boat 'Jessica' and it looked 'tore up from the floor up' , 'beat up from the feet up' , in other words pretty raggidy. Perhaps forward scanning sonar, better GPS and a sober crew would have changed things.

If we stop something that has been going on for quite some time, there has to be a replacement. Personally I can't just say WHY? and DON'T! each time I read or hear something that is environmentally destructive; though, yes, my stomach churns too whenever I hear such news.

I quoted this from a friend. He read - that the speed of earth destruction is several times faster than any effort to preserve the nature :boom: that most of the time the newest technology to preserve the nature does another kind damage to the nature :bolt: therefore, forget it.

Eww…I feel sick. There is no smiley of sea-sick expression, is there?

Ray

Every time I go diving I pick up all the garbage our fellow friends with boats toss away. Some of the garbage items I found: broken bottles, cans, small camping appliances and dead batteries, oil jars, hockey sticks, golf balls and so on. If everybody will do similar jobs at least once a year our waters will be much cleaner.
One dive is a small price to pay for having a clean place we can dive.

Safe Diving

Back
Top Bottom