Can we identify this tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little suspicious of a tank like this online with a picture not even including the tank markings...

Ask the owner what the markings are, AL, AA, 1st hydro, DOT Stamp?, Manufacturer, Serial number. Although it may not prove if this tank is a 'good' tank, it may help exclude it from being a bad one. I wouldn't spend any more than $20 on it if I didn't know any of the above info for sure...

Last edited:
The design of the neck is that of an aluminum tank, not steel.

Some people call any metal "steel".

I know this is obvious from the above comments, but just in case you didn't understand.

Also, just like "Antique Road Show", it's easy to say that something is worth "such and such", but getting 20 bucks out of an old valve or recyled aluminum tank is unlikely and/or not worth the hassle.

I don't see you getting $20 from an old yoke valve, but there are idiots out there that pay for anything.

Now, getting $20 for scraping the tank, very possible. If you strip the paint off you can get even more because its high grade pure 6061 in most cases. Even the older tanks will get you some coin.

There's a long series of letters and numbers stamped onto the top of the tank. You need to post that number even if you don't know what it means. If you do then we can tell you everything. when it was made, where it was made, what it was made of, if and when it was hydroed or should be again ... the whole shebang.

R..

I was just trying to figure it out before i went down... survey says ........ drumroll.............. AL80... born '92. Does need a hydro... no big deal. Got a bunch of other stuff as well in a lot that mostly will be resold.

As far as scrap value... i had some old pre 89 luxfers i took in (with paint) and got $.60/lb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom