Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should add that I had no issues getting a taxi from the ferry at 7:10 last night and people were jogging around, packing up from being on the beach etc.walking dogs etc.

I sincerely hope that the opening up of Cozumel works out well, not only for the sake of the people who live there but for mine as well; I'd like to get there before too many more months have passed. As measured by the number of reported cases (and I have to think that the real number of people who are infected is significantly higher), going out and doing "normal" things here in Austin now that things are beginning to open up is more hazardous than it has ever been.
Followup: A restaurant that has been a fave of mine and my wife's for 20+ years was shuttered from the middle of March until the week before last when they opened for take-out and limited seating. We went to their website to order dinner tonight and saw a notice that this morning they had a confirmed and a suspected case of COVID-19 in their staff; they are of course shut down again and my wife and I are a little concerned about the order we got from them last Saturday night.

Followup: A restaurant that has been a fave of mine and my wife's for 20+ years was shuttered from the middle of March until the week before last when they opened for take-out and limited seating. We went to their website to order dinner tonight and saw a notice that this morning they had a confirmed and a suspected case of COVID-19 in their staff; they are of course shut down again and my wife and I are a little concerned about the order we got from them last Saturday night.

I'd be a little concerned as well. Of course you have no idea what was going on "back office", but from what you saw, were they all wearing masks?

Yes, the incubation period can be as long as two weeks, but do you know the modal number? Guess I've never heard it.

I understand the human need for interaction, but we’re playing safe...social distancing and home cooking is the new Normal for us...for now.....still. Yes, we have fireside parties with friends and sit six afar and we all bring our own drink and dinner. Me, I roll the dice on grocery and tequila runs.

it’s too early to relax my friends.

Can it be conveyed that way?

If you mean food-borne transmission of COVID19, no, from what I've heard, it is not (can not be?) spread via food. But from the people serving it - even at the takeout window - yes, via aerosolized droplets. Same as standing next to anyone breathing.

I understand the human need for interaction, but we’re playing safe...social distancing and home cooking is the new Normal for us...for now.....still. Yes, we have fireside parties with friends and sit six afar and we all bring our own drink and dinner. Me, I roll the dice on grocery and tequila runs.

We "get together" with friends over dinner or a lunch or a beer via FaceTime or Zoom. It's a little klunky, but it works. That's how we are going to roll for a good long while. I do go shopping, but carefully (masked, gloved, distanced...and I'm not shy about calling out covidiots who step too close, telling them there's a pandemic and to GTF 6 feet away from me). I've bought some nice new cookware and have been enjoying cooking more. Something positive has gotta come out of all this...

it’s too early to relax my friends.

Amen, brother. The virus is all around us. The only things keeping us all from a ventilator are six feet of air, a few layers of cloth, plexiglass barriers, common sense and being more stubborn than the damn virus.

That last one is not easy but it's the key!

If you mean food-borne transmission of COVID19, no, from what I've heard, it is not (can not be?) spread via food. But from the people serving it - even at the takeout window - yes, via aerosolized droplets. Same as standing next to anyone breathing.

We "get together" with friends over dinner or a lunch or a beer via FaceTime or Zoom. It's a little klunky, but it works. That's how we are going to roll for a good long while. I do go shopping, but carefully (masked, gloved, distanced...and I'm not shy about calling out covidiots who step too close, telling them there's a pandemic and to GTF 6 feet away from me). I've bought some nice new cookware and have been enjoying cooking more. Something positive has gotta come out of all this...

Amen, brother. The virus is all around us. The only things keeping us all from a ventilator are six feet of air, a few layers of cloth, plexiglass barriers, common sense and being more stubborn than the damn virus.

That last one is not easy but it's the key!
If the virus cannot be spread through food am I safe licking doorknobs? It seems highly unlikely to me that it can spread by me touching my face with my hand that has virus on it but it can't be spread by food that has virus on it. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but it seems unlikely to me.

If the virus cannot be spread through food am I safe licking doorknobs? It seems highly unlikely to me that it can spread by me touching my face with my hand that has virus on it but it can't be spread by food that has virus on it. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but it seems unlikely to me.
Locking door knobs just doesn’t sound hygienic and will more likely to give you a pathogenic E. coli than COVID. Here is the quote from most recent update to CDC statement:
“The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads.”
So yes it is possible to get COVID by licking door knobs... Just less likely than other primary modes of transmission.

I'd be a little concerned as well. Of course you have no idea what was going on "back office", but from what you saw, were they all wearing masks?

Yes, the incubation period can be as long as two weeks, but do you know the modal number? Guess I've never heard it.

I think median time is 5 or 5.5 days from infection to symptoms (I’ve seen both ). . 97.5 percent within 11 days , 99 percent within 14 days. There are some outliers past 14 days actually, so you can’t even rely on that 100 percent.

Oddly, it seems most of the info comes from one or two studies with others quoting them and/or re-analyzing the same data . I am surprised there aren’t more primary studies, but it may because it is difficult to pinpoint exactly when someone was infected and also difficult to obtain and organize the data even if the person does know exactly when they were infected

[Estimated Incubation Period of COVID-19 - American College of Cardiology]

Getting back on topic....this pretty much sums up the morning:

F092964C-C483-4EDD-A426-5C539278E1B6.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom