Question Can this tank still be Used? Been a long time since last hydro and heard it may not be able to be certified. Guess it's been a while.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$100 used with fresh hydro is a deal to me. Local guy has loads of them. $200+ for steel depending on size. Again with fresh hydro.

I keep all tanks in service because it never hurts to have one or two spares ready to go.

Steve Krazer - I'd recommend you take those down to the closest scuba shop and have them inspected. They will be the real go-to place for real answers. ( Note: a bunch of us online are decent/ knowledgeable folks - but an in-person inspection will trump anything we might think we know about the photos we see ) If they decline to even give them a visual inspection, fine, just consider them a loss. You could easily get newer tanks at any yard sale on any Saturday. It's a non-issue finding replacement cylinders.

Don’t even waste gas by driving those down to an LDS. Go straight to a scrapyard. SP6688 tanks were never renewed so it would be illegal for any hydro shop to requalify the tank. (This was already mentioned previously in this thread).

Mine were just recert 9/21. So long as they pass they're good. I have a shop 10 minutes and another 45 minutes from me that will fill them.
That is some BS list put together to dumb down the dot regulations. Likely it is used by the same folks who don't fill anything more than 20 years old for no good reason.

My 2 tanks have 2021 VE stamps which is well after the 2014 date on the binder formatted paper you provided. Yes, I believe it is a dumbed down set of standards to prevent tank monkeys from filing a bad cylinder.

Your tanks are SP 6498. The OP's tanks are SP 6688.

I stand by my statement of the binder page being a dumbed down version of DOT regs. I guess I could go with simplified.

Steve Krazer - I'd recommend you take those down to the closest scuba shop and have them inspected. They will be the real go-to place for real answers. ( Note: a bunch of us online are decent/ knowledgeable folks - but an in-person inspection will trump anything we might think we know about the photos we see ) If they decline to even give them a visual inspection, fine, just consider them a loss. You could easily get newer tanks at any yard sale on any Saturday. It's a non-issue finding replacement cylinders.
A dive shop is the last place to go for real answers.

Back
Top Bottom