Can someone tell me what this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to know any and all possible info about this tank. Hopefully, someone can tell me what all of the #'s on the tank mean......

DOT-3AL3442 FN0000004 M4002 11C07 CATALINA C74 SP12 TC-3ALM237

The parts that really interest me are C74, SP12, 3ALM237

I want to know any and all possible info about this tank. Hopefully, someone can tell me what all of the #'s on the tank mean......

DOT-3AL3442 FN0000004 M4002 11C07 CATALINA C74 SP12 TC-3ALM237

The parts that really interest me are C74, SP12, 3ALM237

Although I've never heard of one, much less seen one, it's a 74 cu ft aluminum tank with a pressure rating of 3442 psi. It isn't even listed on the catalina cylinder website.

the C74 indicates a high pressure tank (>3000psi), 74 cubic feet capacity.

The SP12 indicates the cylinder outlet thread designation as specified in CGA TB-16.

The 3ALM237 indicates the fill pressure in bars.

Since the hydro stamp is fairly recent, it could be that it's a new model that I'm not familiar with and has yet to be listed on the catalina cylinder website.

The FN0000004 is interesting because that ought to be the serial number, and suggests it may be only the 4th such tank produced.

Where did you see it?

Just a reminder, "3442" is not normally a 3AA rating. It is E9791, a special permit steel alloy.

Just a reminder, "3442" is not normally a 3AA rating. It is E9791, a special permit steel alloy.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Most tanks with a 3442 pressure rating are steel (3AA).

3442 was used for an outlet rating(200 bar). All 3442 steel tanks are downrated 3500 psi cylinders. Just check the DOT exemption and hydro requirements. I have not seen an ALM327,will be interesting.

One can make just about any pressure-rating tank one desires under both the 3AA and 3AL specification, it's just that they can get pretty heavy. Witness the monster 4350 psi Heiser/Beuchat 3AA steels.

Catalina has been making 3300 psi/228 bar aluminum tanks for years, so the jump to 3442 psi/237 bar is a small one (notice though that they use 237 bar for 3442 on the TC rating, funny how the metric folks can't quite agree on how to convert psi to bar).

Also funny how they seem to have released this tank before even listing it on the website, and that the one he bought is only number 4. Makes you wonder if it didn't get shipped by mistake!

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Most tanks with a 3442 pressure rating are steel (3AA).

I think the 3442psi tanks are under the special exemption that pesky listed, not true 3AA tanks.

FWIW, 3AA implies a "standard" DOT steel tank, not the special exemption tanks, and are usually listed as 1800, 2400, 3180psi, but not modern higher pressure tanks (scuba tanks, anyway), irrespective of the Beauchat/Heiser 4350psi tanks, which have "less than favorable" buoyancy characteristics. There lies the problem, when you start talking 3AA tanks at higher pressures, the wall thickness becomes so thick that the tank's weight becomes a big problem for diving.

The 3AL is obviously aluminum, and I have yet to see one with a 3442psi pressure rating. This must be something new for Catalina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom