Can I use my Sherwood Magnum Pro in sub 50 degrees of water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Sherwood Blizzard and regularly (December to May) dive in water below 10’C. I’ve never had a freezing problem unlike my Apex buddies. This includes ice diving. I’ve made over 1k dives on my current Sherwood, as I dive year round.
Thank you for telling me! I have always assumed that Apeks have a better cold water performance. lol Do you have any experience with Magnum Pro?

Thank you for telling me! I have always assumed that Apeks have a better cold water performance. lol Do you have any experience with Magnum Pro?
For many years the UK antartic dive team only used Sherwoods. I've been using the Blizard since 2009 when my Sherwood Ocianic could no longer be serviced. No experience of the Magnum Pro.

[..]Is there any other regulator recommendations that you may have?
Objectively, Poseidons regulators are some of the most capable regulators on the market for cold water diving. I don't know any other that fulfill Norsok U-101 for example. Then again, some people hate the way Poseidons breath, while others love it.

Mares Abyss 22 is extensively used by the navy and passed their cold water tests.

I don't know what type of diving you have in mind and how extreme your dives will be. Is the water temperature not colder than 4°C and the depth not more than 50 meters? Then any regulator that fulfills EN250 will do.

Attachments

• Abyss 22 Navy - NEDU Evaluation (2011).pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • NORSOK - U-101 (1999).pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 15
For many years the UK antartic dive team only used Sherwoods. I've been using the Blizard since 2009 when my Sherwood Ocianic could no longer be serviced. No experience of the Magnum Pro.
Wow, that's so interesting to know. Do you have any experiences with Apeks?

Objectively, Poseidons regulators are some of the most capable regulators on the market for cold water diving. I don't know any other that fulfill Norsok U-101 for example. Then again, some people hate the way Poseidons breath, while others love it.

Mares Abyss 22 is extensively used by the navy and passed their cold water tests.

I don't know what type of diving you have in mind and how extreme your dives will be. Is the water temperature not colder than 4°C and the depth not more than 50 meters? Then any regulator that fulfills EN250 will do.
Thank you for telling me! I might do some ice diving int he future. I heard that Mares has been having some quality issues with their regulator? Would you recommend me getting a new regulator set or just change the second stage to a blizzard?

Thank you for telling me! I might do some ice diving int he future. I heard that Mares has been having some quality issues with their regulator? Would you recommend me getting a new regulator set or just change the second stage to a blizzard?

Like I said before, this depends heavily on your personal risk acceptance and preparedness. Any regulator will eventually ice up if pushed far enough. If this warrants a new regulator set is debatable when your current one is good enough "on paper".

I have not heard Mares having quality issues with their equipment and if they do, I'm fairly certain they deal with it in the appropriate and professional manner. They have been around long enough to not pull any shenanigans and their regulators are decently engineered. I say this as someone who dislikes Mares for personal reasons.

Like I said before, this depends heavily on your personal risk acceptance and preparedness. Any regulator will eventually ice up if pushed far enough. If this warrants a new regulator set is debatable when your current one is good enough "on paper".

I have not heard Mares having quality issues with their equipment and if they do, I'm fairly certain they deal with it in the appropriate and professional manner. They have been around long enough to not pull any shenanigans and their regulators are decently engineered. I say this as someone who dislikes Mares for personal reasons.
I have been hearing a lots of hates on Mares. lol

Back
Top Bottom