Can I Take Antidepressants and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just re-read the posts here and am glad I did. Personally I find that diving elevates what is already an elevated mood for me. Although I remain on the Paxil and Trazodone, I have not had a significant depressive episode in nearly 20 years.

I do take Paxil, so I was interested to read Joel's post about the visual side effects of that medication. I will have to discuss that with my doctor as I have been noticing visual problems for some time, although nothing serious. I did fail an eye test at a health clinic two years ago... they said I was legally blind. When I went to my optometrist, he said my eyes haven't changed in five years. There was no question that I couldn't read the charts during the first eye test. I'm beginning to wonder if it correlated with my Paxil.

I am NOT a medical doctor (if I were I could probably afford a heck of a lot more dive travel), so my advice carries no weight. See your personal doctor who knows your specifics, preferably one who also knows diving.

Hi DrBill,

Visual disturbance, particularly blurred vision, is a common complaint in those taking trazadone and SSRIs such as paroxetine. It is secondary to an increase in circulating serotonin, the specific action these drugs are designed to provoke and the basis for their antidepressant properties.

Usually this adverse effect appears early in treatment. It tends to dissipate over the following months, but may persist. However, it is atypical that one would have no visual disturbance for over 15 years and then develop drug-related vision complaints.

In any event, it would be prudent to discuss this with the prescribing physician and then with an ophthalmologist. It is possible that the changes in vision are unrelated to the antidepressants. Or it may be that the drugs now are impacting upon normal age-related diminishments in the visual system.

If it is suspected that the drugs are involved, given a history of 20 years on these meds without a significant depressive episode the dosages possibly can be adjusted downward or one of the agents tapered off altogether. The psychiatrist will know how to approach this matter.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Thanks, DocVikingo. I will be seeing the prescribing physician this month and will talk to him.

Today an order was placed with ScubaCenter.com to deal with the situation my 'associate' & sometime dive buddy is facing (diving on Wellbutrin XL with (soon) Nitrox):

1.) 1 Interspiro AGA MKII-SBN FFM $799.
2.) 1 Interspiro AGA Hose Clamp $10.
3.) 1 OTS ABV-1 Ambient Breathing Valve $209.
4.) 1 AGA AW-1 Weight Kit $99.

It cost $1,117.00 (free shipping) to get this answer to the problem. There are other vendors with the mask, but I was impressed with the other equipment (ambient valve, weight kit) this vendor offered. Sounded like they knew the subject.

Forum review indicates this FFM is held superior to the Neptune II FFM, although there's now a Neptune Space model out. The Space includes the ambient breathing valve for use at the surface.

In fact, for others who may need to consider the option we settled on, here is a copy of the answers e-mail I got from Scuba Center in response to some of my questions:

1. A positive pressure mask is most widely used for water "of
questionable quality". These masks keep the pressure in the mask slightly above the ambient water pressure. The theory being, this helps minimize the chance of contaminated water entering the mask. For most recreational divers, the semi-positive version is the best choice. This is more like the demand valve in a standard scuba regulator.

2. Most masks don't come with a surface air vent of any kind
(although they are available for several models). Some people simply remove the mask at the surface, or place two fingers under the skirt to break the seal. The Ocean Reef Space Mask has it as standard, but it is optional on the original Neptune II (still available).

For the AGA there are a couple options. There is a product (that you mentioned called the ABV. The ABV-1 is intended to be installed in a new mask at the factory, while the ABV-2 can be used to "upgrade" an older mask down the line. This installs in the side of the visor.
Another option is available from a company called Sartek. They make a product called an SBV (which simply screws into the front of the mask in the port designed for communications equip.).

3. Full face masks don't automatically include the first stage (or in
the case of a few models, the second stage either). Many people use them for SCUBA with a first stage and tank, but some applications use them with surface supplied equipment. The hoses available for these masks are designed to fit with first stages using 3/8" low pressure ports (the most typical type today). You can most likely use the first stage you already have.

4. We include the hose in our pricing, but it is not included from the
manufacturer. Many masks include the required hose, the AGA does not.
Again, this model is also used surface supplied by some divers (utilizing a longer hose). Many of the items we list can also be ordered as spare and/or replacement parts.

They offer semi-positive pressure & positive pressure versions, 2 different surface air devices, 2 different weight kits, and so as you can imagine it can get a bit complicated.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom