Can I rent everything at first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
My wife and I start our first scuba class in Minnesota next week and will be going to Cozumel first week of April for the open water certification dives. We have mask, fins and snorkels and have snorkeled in (off?) Coz.
I've read numerous posts saying we should try many kinds of equipment before buying our own. And a number of posts that if you do own equipment, you should take it ion the trip rather than renting on location.
My specific question - is there anything (apart from the mask) that we absolutely should buy ahead of time?
I believe the fee for the open water dives includes equipment. I expect we'd have to pay a rental fee if we dive more after the certification dives. Thanks!

I would take your mask, fins, and snorkel with you. Fins and snorkel could go in your suitcase. We always keep our masks in our carry on. Rent the rest of the stuff. But you may want to buy a wetsuit also just so you're guarenteed something that fits. You can get some good prices and I'm sure you will get plenty of use out of it. I'm a believer that you should try a variety of equipment before buying the expensive stuff ie BC, regulator, computer.

Rent, borrow, try...
My OW instructor told me that I'd dive more if I bought my own gear. Did all three of the above, decided what I liked, purchased, so 18 landlocked years and 1700 dives later, I'd have to say he was right.
Have up-graded everything at least once...

Ahhhh... Cozumel. Love Cozumel. Who ya diving with?

thanks for the response. Diving with Dressel Divers (I think thats the name) who are resident at the Iberostar where we are staying. They have good reviews on Tripadvisor.

One option to consider as well if you're worried about ending up with unfamiliar gear is to rent from your "home" shop and take it with you. Downside is that you have to schlep gear all the way there and back, and pay for the rental for the entire time you're away, but upside is that you will be able to use stuff that you are already familiar with. Even if you hit a different shop to try out a new type or brand, you might still be able to arrange some pool time with it before hand so your first experiece with those pieces aren't when you're making a giant stride off the back of a boat.

I agree with Pelagicsal though, on diving more if you have your own gear -- especially if you have local diving options available. It becomes a lot easier to head out when you're not shelling out $50-100 in rental gear each time, then having to make it back in on Monday to return everything. We are fortunate to have a local mud-hole to go get wet in, but we usually don't decide to go out until the night before or day-of. As long as the tanks are full, the only detour we usually have to make is to get cash for our entry fees. If we had to rent, the dives just wouldn't happen nearly as often, both for cost and convenience.

On the other hand, if decide that local diving is simply not in the cards for you, and you're only going to make one or two trips a year (or less!) then you might want to consider just renting when you need it. A lot of dive gear takes as much "wear and tear" from sitting around as it does from being used. The pristine gear that gets used once a year on vacation may actually be in worse condition then the stuff that gets used every weekend and never really dries out.

As mentioned above, some things make sense more than others to own. A wetsuit is very much dependent on fitting right to work effectively. Even IF you happen to be a relatively "standard" size body, different brands and models will fit the same person differently. At the same time, it's water temp dependent so make sure you take into consideration where you're going to use it. Having a 7mm suit suitable for local quarry diving isn't going to be much fun when you're jumping into 82 degree tropical waters. Then there's the Pee factor :D

Regs are pretty much regs. The big X-factor with rent vs buy is how they're maintained. A good rental shop will have newer, well maintained gear. This is precisely one of those pieces though where not being used can be worse than daily use. If you own, or rent locally before a trip you have the option to try things out in a controlled environment. On the other hand, even the best prepared gear sometimes develops issues. If it's rented on-site, the shop can probably fix it or quickly swap it out. If it's yours or a home-rental, they may or not be able to help. Backup plan there is to rent theirs. The "Ewwww" factor with regs is going to be that it's something gets stuffed into your mouth. Nothing a little listerine can't fix (or hide), and you might consider bringing your own mouthpiece (and zip ties) if you're really worried.

The BC doesn't have the Ewww factors so much, but again, you have to factor in maintenance and care. External condition is easy enough to assess (straps, obvious tears) but a small leak may not get discovered during the normal rental turn-around process (i.e. hang it up to dry). The power inflator, like the regs, has seals and o-rings that like to be used, not sit around. Like your exposure protection, fit is a factor, just just about all BC's have enough adjustments to get them close enough to be comfortable, effective, and safe. Where the BCD differs though is in familarity. Different makes/models put things in different places. Air dumps may be in different places that you can't really see while wearing so knowing how to find them by touch is good. Weight pockets (if you use them) may function differently. How you arrange your weights can change - the same weights spread out into different pockets (and/or on a belt) will affect your "trim" or posture in the water. Not show stoppers, but things that you might take a few or more dives to try different things and get comfortable with.

There's no single right answer to the question, just things to consider when making your own decision. Get in the water and see what things you like or don't like and go from there. Talk to your shop owner and see what kind of options they have - they may have a rent-to-own program that lets you credit your rentals towards purchasing your own gear. Get thru the class though before making any big investments - you may find that when you hit the open water that diving isn't for you. Or, like most of the dive junkies on here you end up spenind every waking moment figuring our how you can get more bottom time :)

Good for you that you are renting before buying. The only two things that I think you should buy outright at the beginning are a mask and a timing device. Since you already have the mask fins & snorkel purchased, no reason to worry about those. I would recommend picking up a waterproof watch, or if you want to spend more money, a bottom timer or computer.

I always recommend that people, if they think they are going to dive much at all, invest in their own exposure protection. The reason is that wetsuit fit is a crucial part of staying warm; a suit that is too big will permit too much water circulation, and will not insulate well. A suit which is too small is uncomfortable, and sometimes can contribute to a tendency to panic.

That said, Cozumel is reasonably warm, and as brand new divers, your dives are likely to be short enough that you won't get terribly cold, even if a rented suit doesn't fit too well.

A regulator is a big part of being comfortable underwater. Some breathe easy and others are much more laborious to use. If you take you own, you know when it was serviced and how it breathes normally. If you rent one local and take it with you, you have a weeks wort of rental fees and nothing but experience to show. If you buy one and take it, you will save the rental fees.

Life support equipment is something you bet your life on. How much is that worth. The comfort and peace of mind are well worth the investment in a quality regulator.

I just got back from a trip to Cozumel, I rented all my equipment accept for the mask and fins. I found the equipment to be ok no issues with it.
I now want to buy my own stuff and after looking around I got a good recommendation to get regs first as they are personal "you put your mouth on it".
He also made a good point in that you don't know what the last person had before you the dive, operators barely wash the regs from what I saw, I also saw a few people get sick and would hate to use that reg after.
But the diving was great so enjoy

Rent, borrow, try...
My OW instructor told me that I'd dive more if I bought my own gear. Did all three of the above, decided what I liked, purchased, so 18 landlocked years and 1700 dives later, I'd have to say he was right.
Have up-graded everything at least once...

Ahhhh... Cozumel. Love Cozumel. Who ya diving with?

I agree with Pelagicsal. I would not spend the money until you are sure you will even continue to dive. All too often, reasons come up that stiffle your diving desire and all that gear just ends up on eBay.

Get certified, rent or borrow gear and above all keep diving. You will soon decide what gear fits your diving style. Check back in here on ScubaBoard and lets us know how the class went!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom