Can I put a bungee choker on hip attachment of 19 cu ft slung Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Best picture ever, not besmirching you FishWatcher747 not at all

I hope you don't mind me adding it to my collection of wonderful things

Finally, the truth, real news for the programmed to see

-ownerid-a1ik62ahm51fh5-groupsharetoken-irkp7wg5q_s2b87kok7uqq-sm2akwljfwsvslmvixf9ij-jpg.666954.jpg

and to the pretend tech pony slingers that don't even know what a pony is that can read their gauge and have complete control of it and can turn the valve off or turn the valve on or can hand it off to someone although a pony is emergency air for you not someone else and remember you are diving solo or can check if something is leaking or if something is not leaking because a slung pony does not get in the way it just hangs there streamlined clanging and banging like a wrecking ball anything in its path, and even though pony air is the same, you can see which reg you are breathing.

because the pony backmounted next to all the other equipment on your back is an entanglement hazard

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

full.jpg

Ha!

HOG. BPW. There are actually 2 D rings near the left hip. I have been using the more forward one. So that may help.

But the bolt snap alone is 5.5 inches. Without a shorter bolt snap or a choker it will be dangling 5.5 inches.View attachment 666956
I think your bolt snaps are way too far apart. The upper one needs to be lower, closer to the lower edge of curve of the crown. This will make that bolt snap in line with the tank when bungied to the valve, not across it as in your pic.

The lower bolt snap should be adjusted higher on the tank so the distance between the ends of the snaps is about the same distance between your D rings. This should bring the tank a lot closer to your body.

The strap the bolt snaps are attached to should also be tighter so the upper bolt snap attachment point stays closer to the tank.

Thanks GJC. I think what I am dealing with is I bought a sling kit that is really designed for slinging a 40cu ft tank. It says it is one size fits all but I have my doubts.

I will work on getting it to your recommendations and see if that works better.

Thanks GJC. I think what I am dealing with is I bought a sling kit that is really designed for slinging a 40cu ft tank. It says it is one size fits all but I have my doubts.

I will work on getting it to your recommendations and see if that works better.
It should work. Even on a 40, the bolt snap openings should be adjusted so they just reach your D rings.

GJC, did as you recommended, got rid of the plastic handle thing, moved top boltsnap down and lower boltsnap and hose clamp up a lot and it is much more streamlined.

I may have misunderstood the directions that came with the sling. It said measure between the shoulder and hip D rings and put the boltsnaps that far apart. I think I was supposed to consider the length of the boltsnaps in the equation.

I need a little practice attaching the lower boltsnap to the hip D ring with my left nondominant hand.

Yep the lower snap is tough to do because it's an odd angle, the tank gets in the way and you can't see what you are doing. Some people attach it first before the shoulder one. You can try putting your index finger in the ring, slide with thumb and keeping it alligned with your ring and pinkie fingers. Even if you're left handed, it's not easy. I haven't mastered it yet

@GJC and @FishWatcher747 the spacing of the snaps is determined by the spacing of the d rings on your harness, not the size of the bottle. An al19 is about 6” shorter than an al40 and the snap is in about the right place for a standard rig. I fully agree that the top snap is in the wrong place as it is supposed to be at the crown of the tank but the bottom is in roughly the right spot.
I think that changing the top snap back where it’s supposed to be and maybe using a choker or a loop bungee, when combined with using the d ring on the weight pocket will solve most of the issues.

tbone, do you agree that the proper measurement should be measure distance between hip and shoulder D rings and place the mouth of the 2 boltsnaps that far apart? Then afix the base of the boltsnaps to the tank so the business ends (mouth) of the boltsnaps equal the distance between the D rings.

I just measured mine and the longest distance from the inside edges of the bolt snap openings is 20 in. My BCD D rings are about 16 in apart without me in it. It's not a straight line between D rings when it's on me because my shoulder and chest are in the way.

Everyone's body is going to curve a little differently and you have to adjust based on how close you like your tank to your body. The pic of you in the water does show way too much slack for the bottom bolt snap. Moving your waist D ring back helps too if you can do that on your rig.

Just make sure you don't have so much slack that the tank first stage hits you on the side of your head when you giant stride off a boat.

tbone, do you agree that the proper measurement should be measure distance between hip and shoulder D rings and place the mouth of the 2 boltsnaps that far apart? Then afix the base of the boltsnaps to the tank so the business ends (mouth) of the boltsnaps equal the distance between the D rings.

Industry standard is roughly 16” between the bolt snaps measured where they are tied into the line. Top bolt snap should be attached halfway down the crown of the tank so the bottom one will be 13-14” from the crown. With an al80 or al40 that’s about 10” from the bottom and with an al19 it will be right at the bottom.
In sidemount we use more specific measurements but the bottom attachment point in standard stage rigging is loose by about 4” and is designed to swing a bit so you can get multiple bottles in there as well as access your spg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom