Dumb Pony question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I forgot solo divers

"Whaaaaaaa!!!! Please help me with my bottle!"

"Whaaaaaaa!!!! Can you zip me up!" as they back up to you before you have replied, hunched forward in the Cro-Magnon pose moving the zipper teeth further apart, "Nice hairy pimply back there mate, what's the tattoo about!"
as I retch into my reg and fall in

Here's the only clip you need solo divers when you put it where it's supposed to go, on your back

View attachment 639335

solo divers

"Whaaaaaaa!!!! Please rescue me."

Be independent it's where it all starts

"Independant diving magnificent!"

That was uncalled for.

@uncfnp: Totally agree with a 'suicide clip' at the bottom of the cylinder if one likes it for convenience.

But please reinforce that one should never use a butterfly clip on the TOP of a cylinder. It is a proven entanglement hazard.

(Proven also by my harsh experience.) I'd relate the story if anyone wants to hear it...

@uncfnp: Totally agree with a 'suicide clip' at the bottom of the cylinder if one likes it for convenience.

But please reinforce that one should never use a butterfly clip on the TOP of a cylinder. It is a proven entanglement hazard.

(Proven also by my harsh experience.) I'd relate the story if anyone wants to hear it...

Yes, please.

Hey!

OK, I think that it was during AOW or something similar. Training with a really great (now gone, bless his soul) instructor >Mark Hennessey< who was extremely 'student-centric'.

IIRC, we were doing lifts with a bag. While fussing around I noticed that the line had gone taut and immediately snapped into my upper butterfly. I cleared it and thought that it was a good thing that I hadn't goosed the bag and sent it skyward before I noticed. I was sure that I totally got away with that flub.

We did a post-dive discussion as usual. Ran through all sorts of stuff. Then he leans forward, looks me in the eyes, and asks: 'Anything Else'?

I am sure you remember too that this technique to clip in was taught by Edd in his sidemount class. :) Works just as well for pony bottles.

@uncfnp, yeah. I do. :)

After my 'issue' (and well before Edd's class) I was TOTALLY against using butterfly clips for ANYTHING.

They work just fine for bottom clips. -never say never...
Why is it ok at the bottom but not the top? You need to explain the mechanics of this for those of us not understanding. There will also be people not following the whole line trapping thing at all so maybe be explicit about that rarher than just a story?

I carry a 3L pony bottle slung under my left arm.

I made one of these, minus the triangle adjuster plate, out of some spare bits I had lying around:
upload_2021-1-31_13-17-45.png

The ends of the bungee pass through one of the holes in the left side of my plate and are tied together with an overhand knot to keep it from pulling through. The bolt snap connects to my left shoulder harness D-ring....I clip the top bolt snap of my pony rigging to the ring and the bottom bolt snap gets clipped off to the rear D-ring of my crotch strap once I am in the water and I unclip before exiting the water.

I have not had any issues with this setup.

-Z

Why is it ok at the bottom but not the top? You need to explain the mechanics of this for those of us not understanding. There will also be people not following the whole line trapping thing at all so maybe be explicit about that rarher than just a story?
Fair Question.

One's first response to entanglement is usually to just bull forward and see if it clears. Works well most of the time...

Butterfly clips will gladly open to anything that presents pressure to the face of the clip. Standard 'dog' clips will not.

The rear clip is massively shielded by everything in front of it. Thus, IMHO, I have no real-world concerns about a butterfly as a lower clip.

Back
Top Bottom