Dumb Pony question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I clip just the top on my 40 and wade in the water, then when the tank is neutral, easy to hook the bottom and then stretch the bungee onto the valve to pull it under my arm. For those having trouble on the boat, are you using the clip to pull it to your side or a bungee? If it’s just clips, seems like either the tank is dangling underneath you, or the bottom clip has to be way around on your back and hard to reach.

Someone showed me how sling the pony, I’m far from the smartest guy with making this work.

Depending on the dive site and boat, I find it a lot easier to have the pony handed to me once I'm in the water where it's very simple to clip on.

While on the boat though it can be tricker and it's easier to ask your buddy (or anyone else) to clip the pony to the hip D-ring.

I'm using a 19 cu ft pony slung on the left between a shoulder and hip D rings for the first time. Dumb question is I got all geared up on the diveboat except for the pony. While sitting it was quite difficult to clip the hip D ring. Felt a bit silly having the guide clip it for me. So, what is your procedure for clipping pony, that is sitting or standing?

Thanks in advance

Is the bottom bolt snap the right length down the tank for you? Measure the distance from chest D ring to hip D ring. Then take that number and measure that distance on the tank down from the middle of the valve.

I had trouble clipping on a a slung 40 before I made sure bottom bolt snap was the correct place on the tank, using above method.

and then stretch the bungee onto the valve to pull it under my arm

Yeah this is the one

So from the side it doesn't look so much like you're riding your pony

+1 for using the big ring bolt snap type on the bottom of the bottle and do that up first on the hip. Just put a finger through it to pull it in position and clip it on with your thumb. Without the big ring it would be an annoying fiddle, especially with gloves already on. I fitted it after my first dive with it, but left the top bolt snap standard so it wouldn't hang too far off my chest.

(it's a small bottle though)

See pic

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 117
Oh I forgot solo divers

"Whaaaaaaa!!!! Please help me with my bottle!"

"Whaaaaaaa!!!! Can you zip me up!" as they back up to you before you have replied, hunched forward in the Cro-Magnon pose moving the zipper teeth further apart, "Nice hairy pimply back there mate, what's the tattoo about!"
as I retch into my reg and fall in

Here's the only clip you need solo divers when you put it where it's supposed to go, on your back

full.jpg

solo divers

"Whaaaaaaa!!!! Please rescue me."

Be independent it's where it all starts

"Independant diving magnificent!"

Whaaaaaaa!!!! on my back I can't hug it for comfort when the fish get big...

besides, I even took my dear STA off to be less of a stone with those big steels, that scaffolding won't help!

Reactions: OTF
I keep my pony bottle under the bench below me. When I’m all kitted up I slide it out, bend over and clip the top bolt snap to my left chest d-ring. That’s all that’s really critical. You could even splash like that if necessary and clip the bottom in the water. Sometimes I’ll clip off the bottom sitting and sometimes standing. Whichever is most convenient at the time. I prefer not to get assistance and don’t need it.

It helps to not use tiny bolt snaps. Those are fine for lights and regs but for bottles I use the extra large ones. Much easier to clip and unclip.

@happy-diver He didn’t ask for opinions on placement. That’s been covered ad nauseam. You’re a back-mounter. We get it. You’re not addressing the OP’s question and your posts on this thread aren’t helpful just condescending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom