Can I put a bungee choker on hip attachment of 19 cu ft slung Pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also used something similar to this:

Highseas Double Counterlung D-ring

on my crotch strap to clip the pony on one side and a reel on the other... (this does however make a long-ish lower tether, and I did away with it....

upload_2021-6-22_11-31-8.png

a d-ring right back at the plate also works. You can secure it in the loop you do in the plate for your harness, or just put one on the waist portion of the webbing tucked back at the plate with a slider.

You may want it "fixed" to facilitate anchoring, all depends on your "needs".

HOG. BPW. There are actually 2 D rings near the left hip. I have been using the more forward one. So that may help.

But the bolt snap alone is 5.5 inches. Without a shorter bolt snap or a choker it will be dangling 5.5 inches.View attachment 666956

just clip it to the bottom of the weight pouch. One of the many reasons I don't like AL19's is that they're pigs in the water so they're always hanging low. An AL40 would be floating tail up and get out of the way which is part of why we use them for deco/stage bottles. Clipping to the weight pouch d-ring should bring it up high enough and you'll be able to get a hold of it.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet in the water, but I set this up the other day.

About 1/8 inch bungee. Tie an adjustable knot/loop (not sure the knot-name). Use a hogs-head knot to secure the loop to the bolt-snap. Tighten the adjustable-knot until you have the right amount of tension.

As a bonus, this is easily addable/removable to any setup, without needing to put on or take off any components.

20210622_142653 - Copy.jpg

Well Slugmug is closest to what I was thinking. I do think it will be better putting the bottom bolt snap on the more rear D ring.

Slugmug has reduced the exposed part of the bolt snap from 5.5 inches to maybe 3.5 inches.

On the boltsnap near the 1st stage I have a choker bungee that goes through the mouth of the boltsnap so there is almost no "dangling". Is this possible on the bottom boltsnap?

Or are there concerns that it would be difficult to attach or detach? Safety concerns?

My photo is just of the bottom bolt-snap, and it reduces the distance between the bolt-snap hook & the tank from about 3.75 inches to 0.75 inches (on this LARGE bolt-snap). A low-profile d-ring will help some as well. Using the rear-d-ring will also help, because your tank will be negatively buoyant.

Side-mount tends to use sliding d-rings on the waist harness, which is another option, although that means you wouldn't be able to use the waist-harness for much else. They then slide the ring forward as the tank empties, however I'm assuming the pony will remain full as a redundant air supply & therefore a fixed position is plenty good enough.

My interpretation of your bungee-choker on the top was that you were mimicking how side-mount secures tanks, with a bungee that goes under the armpit & is wrapped around the top of the tank. If you're talking about some other method, then I'd recommend looking at how side-mount secures the top of their tanks.

My photo is just of the bottom bolt-snap, and it reduces the distance between the bolt-snap hook & the tank from about 3.75 inches to 0.75 inches (on this LARGE bolt-snap). A low-profile d-ring will help some as well. Using the rear-d-ring will also help, because your tank will be negatively buoyant.

Side-mount tends to use sliding d-rings on the waist harness, which is another option, although that means you wouldn't be able to use the waist-harness for much else. They then slide the ring forward as the tank empties, however I'm assuming the pony will remain full as a redundant air supply & therefore a fixed position is plenty good enough.

My interpretation of your bungee-choker on the top was that you were mimicking how side-mount secures tanks, with a bungee that goes under the armpit & is wrapped around the top of the tank. If you're talking about some other method, then I'd recommend looking at how side-mount secures the top of their tanks.

when you're diving with backmount, there is no need for sliding d-rings as the butt of the tank is not going to go above the main bottle. The bottle is also not intended to be used, so leaving it in place where it rides properly when full is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom