Can I drink a few beers after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first drinks that we should be talking after scuba diving are those that will rehydrate us. No alcohol or caffeine-based drinks.

Expecting me to NOT have a coffee (espresso) after diving with my European, Australian and Philippino dive buddies is way out there, brother. Like Owen Wilson as Jedediah to Ben Stiller as Larry in Night at the Museum, “No can do, Crackerjack.”

Not exactly right, Severe DCS causes dehydration, After a severe Hit, I didn't pee for 3 days, and when I was finally able to, it was almost blood colored.

Michael
In the same manner it is severe dehydration that can contribute to DCS. I believe that the over emphasis on hydration can result in excessive hydration that can significantly increase the potential for IPE (IPO).

Sometimes I can get pretty fatigued after a long day of diving, especially if I had to get up early. I find that having a beer on the boat after can make it difficult to stay alert on the drive home, even though I'm well within the legal limits. So be mindful of that if you're driving.

So your saying piss water is good to drink after a dive.

I don't know.....I've never tried piss water, but I'm pretty sure it's still better than an IPA. Truthfully, I've never tried bilge water either, but I'm still positive that bilge water would be better than an IPA.

I guess piss water isnt all that bad, we all dive in it if you wear a wetsuit on a dive more than 10 minutes or so and are over 50. Now that I think about it, I'm actually happiest when surrounded in a tight fitting neoprene cocoon filed with.....yup....piss water. Suddenly, diving doesn't sound nearly as addictive as it actually is.

Still better than the time at Texas Tech when me and some friends decided that it would be more efficient when drinking beer if we just wore adult diapers since the bathroom was waaaaaaay down the hall. That was over 30 years ago and efficiency can be over rated, and soggy, at times.

Beer is still awesome after a dive. Piss water or not.

Safe travels Amigos!! Should you find yourself in Mexico, please have a Bohemia Obscura for me!

Jay

I don't know.....I've never tried piss water, but I'm pretty sure it's still better than an IPA. Truthfully, I've never tried bilge water either, but I'm still positive that bilge water would be better than an IPA.

I guess piss water isnt all that bad, we all dive in it if you wear a wetsuit on a dive more than 10 minutes or so and are over 50. Now that I think about it, I'm actually happiest when surrounded in a tight fitting neoprene cocoon filed with.....yup....piss water. Suddenly, diving doesn't sound nearly as addictive as it actually is.

Still better than the time at Texas Tech when me and some friends decided that it would be more efficient when drinking beer if we just wore adult diapers since the bathroom was waaaaaaay down the hall. That was over 30 years ago and efficiency can be over rated, and soggy, at times.

Beer is still awesome after a dive. Piss water or not.

Safe travels Amigos!! Should you find yourself in Mexico, please have a Bohemia Obscura for me!

Jay

What !
Love a good IPA, here is good Aussie one:
And about to crack a stout before I enjoy an IPA.
https://littlecreatures.com.au/beers/ipa/
coopers_stout_.png

Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to remove fluids from your blood through your renal system, which includes the kidneys, ureters, and bladder, at a much quicker rate than other liquids. If you don't drink enough water with alcohol, you can become dehydrated quickly.

Yes, reaching for a beer after a dive is not a good idea. There are a couple of theories why.

The first one is that goes hand in hand with the common scuba diving problem of dehydration.

Alcohol further dehydrates you which interferes with the release of nitrogen from your body. Some say that dehydration is one of the biggest contributors to DCS and alcohol aids that.

The first drinks that we should be talking after scuba diving are those that will rehydrate us. No alcohol or caffeine-based drinks.

The second issue is if you drink a lot. The alcohol can mask the symptoms of DCS and thus delaying treatment if you do have DCS.

Things you cannot do straight after scuba diving · Aussie Divers Phuket

If you want an appropriate and relevant answer to your question, go with this answer from MaxBottomtime. Everything else said above is BS. You should be drinking water before and after your diving (in moderation of course).

Sometimes I can get pretty fatigued after a long day of diving, especially if I had to get up early. I find that having a beer on the boat after can make it difficult to stay alert on the drive home, even though I'm well within the legal limits. So be mindful of that if you're driving.

The legal limit where I live is 0 so I always have to wait until I get home

Love a good IPA,

Me too and down your way a few years back I enjoyed Fat Yak and Lazy Yak after a few dives.

Can we plug the catheter into the bar's plumbing? Don't need to do all that boring walking to the loo to recycle the beer.

Beer intake's pretty limited though. Drink until you fall off the bar stool...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom