Can I drink a few beers after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it ok to drink a few (1-4) cans of suds after diving? As long as I am well hydrated Will this significantly raise my risk of DCS? Should I wait a few hours before diving or is time not a factor? Thanks for the help!

It might significantly raise your risk of DCS, ox tox, and doing something stupid on your next dive.

Just make sure it's after your last dive of the day and don't over do it.

I sure hope so ... since I regularly do!! :wink: In moderation of course. Heavy drinking can result in dehydration which can cause issues.

Kidding aside, good on you for asking. You clearly are working hard to be a knowledgeable, informed diver. We were all new divers once. I'll buy you a post-dive beer if we ever dive together!! :cheers:

Alcohol is a vasodilator (except at extremely high dosages). Thus moderate intake should increase tissue perfusion helping clear residual nitrogen.
In other words, bottoms up for safety :cheers:

Note: I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. (But like that other guy , I do have a Master's Degree... in science!)

I'm not a doctor but I've been in the dive industry a long time and I drink a lot.

You should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom