Can anyone talk me out of buying a used regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
My old trusted, Cousteau Micra is gone and I need a new reg. I want the same reg I had. It performed really well at all dpths and never gave me a day fo trouble. I had really great air consumption using it and I've noticed a real difference on other regs. The trouble is, they don't make it anymore.

I've searched and searched for a dive shop with on old, dusty box at the back of it's stockroom. No go. All I can find is the new Micra, which comes with a Titan first stage. I've used that reg and I hate it.

Is there any reason not to buy a used Cousteau? I know that not everyone takes good care of thier reg as I did with mine. But if I buy one used and then take it in for service, is there any reason not to believe that it will be as safe and reliable as my old reg?

What do you mean by "gone"?

Unless it's lost/stolen, is there any reason you can't have it serviced?

If you buy a used one it may not be any better than yours . . .

Terry

raviepoo:
My old trusted, Cousteau Micra is gone and I need a new reg. I want the same reg I had. It performed really well at all dpths and never gave me a day fo trouble. I had really great air consumption using it and I've noticed a real difference on other regs. The trouble is, they don't make it anymore.

Take it in and get it serviced, if it is in good shape buy it, why not, you would have had to get it serviced anyway. If it isn't serviceable they likely will not charge you. In the mean time you may discover whether or not you can even get parts for it. Not all out dated equipment have parts available.

Web Monkey:
What do you mean by "gone"?

Unless it's lost/stolen, is there any reason you can't have it serviced?

If you buy a used one it may not be any better than yours . . .

Terry

It's sitting somewhere in 500 ft of water. As in "not here anymore." Otherwise I would get it service when it would have been due again, some time in the Spring.

(sob)

WVDiver:
Take it in and get it serviced, if it is in good shape buy it, why not, you would have had to get it serviced anyway. If it isn't serviceable they likely will not charge you. In the mean time you may discover whether or not you can even get parts for it. Not all out dated equipment have parts available.

The parts are definitely still out there. It's a workhorse, still on the list of approved gear for the US Navy.

What I'm wondering is this - is there any way a reg that seems to work fine on land can go belly up when you take it into the water? I suppose if I buy it I will start out with pretty shallow dives and be sure I have a secondary bottle of depth-worthy gas with me until I'm sure the reg is OK.

raviepoo:
It's sitting somewhere in 500 ft of water. As in "not here anymore." Otherwise I would get it service when it would have been due again, some time in the Spring.

(sob)

Did it go over the side of a boat in transit?

X

As long as it is in good condition, well maintained, properly serviced and in operational condition, why should one?

the K

raviepoo:
It's sitting somewhere in 500 ft of water.

New plan:
1. BP/W, drysuit, doubles and new regs OR rebreather
2. take tech classes
3. dive to 500fsw and get your reg back
4. sell to mastercard: 1st reg set: $$$, losing reg set: $$, tech classes and gear: $$$$$, getting your favorite reg set back: priceless.

on the practical side...

:wink:

yeah, why not buy a couple of used ones, get them serviced immediately and repaired if needed?

i say go for it

Hi Raviepoo
most regs out there are only as good as the tech. servicing them.
saying that i have an old healthways sonic that works like a charm
i see no reason not to buy the used regs. providing you get them serviced by an experinced tech.
however i would look at the new regs on the market and compare price
the titan first stage is a good first stage, i would think that the second stage was not adjusted to your standards for diving
most second stages can be adjusted to any type of diver
the only disadvantage with the micra is that they do not perform to thier peak in cold water
if you need any more info. let me know
pm me
bottomrunner

raviepoo:

I've searched and searched for a dive shop with on old, dusty box at the back of it's stockroom. No go. All I can find is the new Micra, which comes with a Titan first stage. I've used that reg and I hate it.

Is there any reason not to buy a used Cousteau? I know that not everyone takes good care of thier reg as I did with mine. But if I buy one used and then take it in for service, is there any reason not to believe that it will be as safe and reliable as my old reg?

Back
Top Bottom