Can anybody tell me what these are?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is quite literally everything that is inside the 2nd stage, apart from the diaphragm which was sitting on top of that lever.

20120910_213524-1.jpg

As noted above, the 108 ("High Performance") second stage just takes the regular R190/295/380/390 kit. My first reg was a Mk 3 1High Performance and it was a great reg.

The design is similar to the R190, but the key difference is that back then Scubapro applied the same quality control to the unbalanced 108 that it did to the unbalanced 109 "Adjustable" and the balanced "Balanced Adjustable". The result was that the 108 second stages were exceptional breathers when placed on a balanced second stage like the Mk 5 or Mk 10 - every bit as good in terms of inhalation effort as the Adjustable and Balanced Adjustable when properly tuned.

That is not the case today however where the low end regs like the R190, R390, etc were subject to less quality control in terms of parts, spring tolerances, etc. As a result some of them are very good and others are just barely within the minimum specifications - which are a lot less demanding than was the case for the 108.

Saying it's too old to service is of course crap, but it is mostly an effort to sell more customers new regs rather than continue to service older regs that are frankly better than a comparable model today.

I must be getting old if the regulator models I used as a kid are starting to show up in the vintage forum.

The sad thing is that after they get rebuilt and refurbed, they look like they're in better shape to dive then I am.

I must be getting old if the regulator models I used as a kid are starting to show up in the vintage forum.

The sad thing is that after they get rebuilt and refurbed, they look like they're in better shape to dive then I am.
No kidding. My Mk 3 108 that i bought new in 1985 still works as good as it did then. I can't say the same about me. I'm older, wiser and smarter but mostly just older...

Got the MK5 open mostly. Now I somehow need to undo the swivel screw. It's stuck in tightly with some sort of white gunk that appears to have built up along the threads. The same stuff was inside the 108, and I've managed to clean it all out, apart from the orifice.
Does anybody have any idea what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Mostlikely concretion/crust, mineral deposit.
  1. Try soaking for several days.
  2. If it doesn't work, try the hot (tap water) / cold (freezer) method, repeat several times.
  3. If all else fail, dip it in white vinegar for 5 min. at a time, rinse, try again from #2.

I didn't see this thread when I was tearing into my 108 that had a issue my lds didn't fix. My 108 has a removable orifice (some don't) if you can remove it there is a small o ring in there that isn't often replaced. It's likely an old dried out red o ring from the early 90s that needs replacing. The above posters taught me that one. Btw my lds is not scuba pro. The scuba pro dealer told me it was scrap metal. (without even looking at it). Anyway my thread is in the DIY section titled SP 108. I also found a full schematic on frog kick.com good luck and have fun.

Got the MK5 open mostly. Now I somehow need to undo the swivel screw. It's stuck in tightly with some sort of white gunk that appears to have built up along the threads. The same stuff was inside the 108, and I've managed to clean it all out, apart from the orifice.
Does anybody have any idea what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Bengamin,

Have you a socket that fits on the swivel retainer snugly? I think that is an 11/16ths. Some sockets fit with no modification, but others have to be ground a bit. You mentioned gunk, could that be grease? If so, it should not be causing it to bind.

I have an 11/16 socket. I've tried to use it to undo the screw. At the start it sits on the screw snugly, but it slips off when I apply too much force. The gunk isn't grease. It's a hardish white substance. Soaking in a vinegar solution helped a bit, but this stuff seems to be in the threads of the screw, so the vinegar can't reach it unless I leave it in for far more than 5 minutes, and I'm hesitant to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom