Can anybody tell me what these are?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you thinking about getting them fixed to dive with, or do you want to sell them to collectors?

R..

My regulator set is a pair of 109 BAs... :)

I'm not sure at this stage. Depending on part prices, I may get them fixed and dive them or if I see that it'll cost too much, I may pass them on to somebody who can get the fixed.

105_0325.jpgI dove with my MK5/108 yesterday. I prefer the 108 to my 109 and bal adj. I like the hose angle of the 108 and I can't tell much difference in breathing performance between the three 2nd stages. With the myflex hose I get no hose tugging or pulling as I turn my head into different positions. I would say that the 108 is one of the best 2nd stages ever made.

The HP stands for High Performance.
Second Stage

BTW The other second stage is a "109." AKA "Adjustable" or "Adjustable 109." No "R' preceding it as in the "R190."

Thanks for the link. Now, is there a marking on the 108 that indicates it's a HP?

Dove my set on saturday. Was nice,

Thanks for the link. Now, is there a marking on the 108 that indicates it's a HP?

There's a post floating around that explains how to decipher the serial number and come up with a birth date for a SP reg. That might be one way to tell as according to the SP Museum web site, the HP was introduced in 1964. However, if the 108 has an adjustable orifice-that should be a clear indication.

Edit: Here's a link to the aforementioned post.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...entify-vintage-scubapro-mk10.html#post4197953

Brother couv is absolutely right: the schematic from July 88, rev. D, showed the reg with an orifice and called it "High Performance". Its part number is 11-080-100, so its nickname should be 080.

I have another schematic, date unknown, that shows the reg without the orifice, and it was called 108. Interestingly, the diaphragm of this one looks a bit funny, a lot flatter than the usual conical ones. I wonder if this is the one that gave halocline a bit of a problem initially?

Ok, so I went to speak to the local SP shop. The person there took one look at the 108 and told me that it isn't a SP regulator. When I told him that it was and which sort it was, he said that it's too old to service.

Long story short, I now most of the 108 in pieces in front of me. I haven't taken apart the actual demand valve yet.

So far, I can see that I need to replace the exhaust valve and the diaphragm cover. The diaphragm is the black one, and is somehow still flexible and whole, but given the condition of most of the other parts I'm not sure if that means much.

Some questions:
1. Are they same diaphragm and diaphragm cover which the 109 uses?
2. Would the service kit for the 108 be all that I need for the demand valve, or am I likely to need to source other parts too?

1. The diaphragm cover is likely the same, but it's possible to have an oddball cover. Take pictures or better yet, temporarily borrow one from your 109 to find out.

2. Probably all you'll need is a seat and a few o-rings. The seat is pretty standard and should be the same as a 109.

Measure the exhaust diaphragm, (probably a 26mm) you can pick one up at VDH and the 109 service kit too.

Shop Online

Shop Online

But bottom line: Don't be afraid to swap parts out from your 109. We know the poppet is different, but the cover, exhaust valve, seat, are likely the same. Just be careful when you re-install them and test per the checklist: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Last edited:
Post pics of the guts. The "standard" covers and exhaust T's are available.

VintageDoubleHose.com is now offering a lot of Scubapro parts.
Bryan just send me an email. He has 109 diaphragm covers, exhaust "T", upgrade kits for 109 to BA, etc.

Shop Online

Back
Top Bottom