Can a chiropractor give you DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If your chiropractor "cracks" your neck/back the expanding gas will create microbubbles and bubble nuclei. A subsequent dive would expand the quantity and size of the bubbles.

Does anyone know how long the microbubbles and nuclei continue to be a threat?

I imagine the same concern would apply to inadvertently cracking your knuckles while lifting a tank or a "popping" knee or hip joint.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
So why do you believe "cracking" your neck will result in expanding gas?

Burritos are a different matter

John N

dont eat popcorn and climb steps

So why do you believe "cracking" your neck will result in expanding gas?

Burritos are a different matter

John N

The sound is caused by bubbles forming and bursting during pressure changes in the joint. Cracking knuckles is called out as a contributor to DCS in "Deep and Safety Stops, Including Ascent Speed and Gradient Factors" by Anton Swanepoel.

I've been told not to get massages shortly after deep dives too. Wonder if there's much truth in it.

[h=2]Can a chiropractor give you DCS? [/h]

No, but I'm sure they think they can cure it with 6-10 adjustments and several hundred dollars worth of nutritional supplements.

:d

I've been told not to get massages shortly after deep dives too. Wonder if there's much truth in it.

Hi OzGriffo,

While I am unaware of and was unable to locate any scientific research on this specific topic, it is my personal opinion that except for perhaps especially vigorous Rolfing, vicious deep tissue massage or similar assaults upon the body, immediate massage poses no DCS threat to someone who plans to do or has just completed a recreational dive or two.

It may be somewhat different for those who have been doing multiple dives over multiple days or have been doing deco diving. Because of the significant nitrogen loading inherent in such diving, it would seem wise to wait an hour or two before massage. This position has less to do with any potential dangers inherent in routine massage and is primarily based on the high likelihood that immediately lying down or otherwise becoming sedentary impedes tissue perfusion and inert gas elimination.

Because dive medicine simply does not know, conservatism is defensible.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

---------- Post Merged at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:00 AM ----------

No, but I'm sure they think they can cure it with 6-10 adjustments and several hundred dollars worth of nutritional supplements.

Thanks for the chuckle, RJP. It's hysterical because it is true ; )

Regards,

DocV

---------- Post Merged at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Hi Max Speed,

It indeed is very likely if you're hearing sharp cracking or popping sounds during chiropractic treatment that small cavities of partial vacuum are forming & then collapsing within the synovial fluid around the affected joint.

Happily for the diver, these "microbubbles" last for only a very short period.

And indeed being hard on knee or hip joints immediately post-dive, as when climbing ladders back into the boat with weights or tanks on, is unwise. Our Dr Deco frequently cautions about such activity.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom