The difficulty in determining DCS – Anatomy of a Dive Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband (Dan Volker) had a discussion with Jarrod Jablonski, head of GUE about this, and will be including this in an article I will post in the very near future. The short version though, is that JJ does not want GUE people or anyone else to think that when diving 10 feet off the bottom in a no or low current ocean environment, that they need to be flat horizontal or worrying much about "Perfect Trim"....Trim to JJ is something you use when it is beneficial, and not when it isn't ... How about that!!!! ????

We all grow, learning as we go. :p

...Trim to JJ is something you use when it is beneficial, and not when it isn't ... How about that!!!! ????

I think it's pretty well known in GUE circles that JJ is a fun guy to dive with, and isn't a stickler for perfection outside of where it's necessary, although I have never had the privilege of diving with him. However, I have seen many videos of him diving. Even today's GUE Fundamentals class videos include probably 20 year old demos by JJ, and I honestly think that the "GUE perfect trim" with hyperextended neck, face forward, hands in front not down, hyperextended back, and knees that never drop that Dan alluded to doesn't come from JJ himself, at least not back then. GUE instructors have said that trim should follow the slope of where you're diving. If you're diving an incline, for example, it's ok to be "off-trim". Look at the GUE standards of trim being within 30° and buoyancy within 5 feet of a target depth for a recreational pass - far from perfect.

The person that I hear that inspired the above level of trim and control was Bob Sherwood. Until Dan called it the GUE position, I always heard it called the "Bob Sherwood position". I don't think many GUE instructors dove in that precise position originally, but more of them do now. In fact, I have had DIR divers on boats in the US tell me that I "must have been trained by Bob Sherwood" without knowing anything about me except seeing my equipment configuration and position in the water.

While Bob is usually absolutely effortlessly perfect in the water, when he's not teaching but just diving for fun, he often goofs around, goes a little out of trim, turns onto his back and blows rings while we're doing minimum deco, and generally just has fun. I have broken the seal on my mask by laughing many times with GUE divers, some of them dancing and even singing u/w.

This pic is from 2013, shortly before I took Fundies. I was taking a ride on the human DPV, Bob, and he turned his GoPro onto us. :)

1395353_577676388936037_289393225_n.jpg

I will when im allowed , to post a undeserved hit here in Ontario that's going to change a bunch of stuff ...and how you dive a certain area.......no not me a friend and what happened after they got out of the water , the story is unbelievable ......the law suit is too................

I will when im allowed , to post a undeserved hit here in Ontario that's going to change a bunch of stuff ...and how you dive a certain area.......no not me a friend and what happened after they got out of the water , the story is unbelievable ......the law suit is too................
The suspense is killing me...

ll I want to hear this story.....are we to infer that because there is a lawsuit pending, you do not dare discuss any of this? Can't you start with the accident report and some facts? Then we could argue about what happened for many months, and you know how much divers love to do this!

Steve, you’re a tease!

I gave up the term undeserved, prefer unexpected. Hard to argue against the latter. There is probably always an explanation, we may just not know what it is.

Thank you scubadada!

Your cogitation has produced a profundity (no humor or sarcasm--I am as serious as a heart attack).

cheers,
m

I promised the person involved I would not reveal , but they promised at a point I can and I WILL tell ...its probably the most controversial thing that's happed in Ontario diving in years .......and will impact a lot of divers

Hmm. I bet I know where the 'perfect trim' (a.k.a. 'slick') DIR diving position in water came from. (hint: took fundies from him many years ago) Slick was the be-all and end-all at that time. Sadly, I was not slick enough. :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom