Calypso 111 to 1V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Treculi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I bought this regulator new some time in the early 70,s and it seems to be about the time US Divers was changing from the Calypso 111 to Calypso 1V. Does anyone know anything about the serial numbers and if you can use them to date the regulator?
First stage 637987
Second stage 659927

I cobbled together an IP gauge and the regulator tested around 110.
IMG_2450.jpgIMG_2451.jpgIMG_2457.jpgIMG_2458.jpg

I can't help you with the serial number, Sam already help you with that anyway, but if I recall correctly, that is definitely a Calypso III.
The Calypso IV had two extra LP ports on a swivel. The two extra ports were 90 degrees from the primary LP port.

A Calypso III will also concur with the 1971 date that Sam mentions.

That sounds about right. I think that was the year I got rid of my first regulator a used Dacor Dart. I am lucky I survived diving with that regulator.

That sounds about right. I think that was the year I got rid of my first regulator a used Dacor Dart. I am lucky I survived diving with that regulator.
I have two Dacor Dart regulators, and got so frustrated with my first one that I cut the LP hose so I could not be tempted to dive it again. :wink: The second one has a venturi somewhat like the USD Calypso built into the mouthpiece, breaths better, but "honks" with every breath. When they finally got it right, Dacor called it the Olympic regulator, which is a great regulator.

Concerning the Calypso III, yes it is, and one more telling point is that the HP hose goes straight down, and not to one side.

SeaRat

Hello John,

I think the last dive I did with that dart I was at 95 feet and it sounded like a flock of geese I could barely get enough air. That on top of having to blow air into a 1/4” tube to compensate for bouncy was the last straw. I think I had to push the purge button to get enough air. Those were the good old days.

Did you ever catch the Redside shiners spawning this year?

In 1970 I stepped off the Oriskany in Subic Bay and bought a Calypso like yours at the Naval Exchange. I later replaced it with a new one with more LP ports and a reserve first stage. I dove that one until it was old enough to get a drivers license.

In 1970 I stepped off the Oriskany in Subic Bay and bought a Calypso like yours at the Naval Exchange. I later replaced it with a new one with more LP ports and a reserve first stage. I dove that one until it was old enough to get a drivers license.

I do not remember how long I used the Calypso. I added a 1 to 3 LP swivel adaptor around the time I started using a BC. I do not think I used that set up for very long before getting another regulator.

Hello John,

I think the last dive I did with that dart I was at 95 feet and it sounded like a flock of geese I could barely get enough air. That on top of having to blow air into a 1/4” tube to compensate for bouncy was the last straw. I think I had to push the purge button to get enough air. Those were the good old days.

Did you ever catch the Redside shiners spawning this year?
I know what you mean about the Dacor Olympic. If some didn't catch it above, I cut the LP hose about 4 inches from the regulator so I'd not dive it again. :wink:

Yes, the red-sided shiners did spawn this year! I did not see the actual spawing activity, but did see them in their spawning colors, and am sure that they had a good year. For those of you who don't know what the red-sided shiner is, here is a photo I took in the 1980s of this mating ritual. The shivers actually go under these big rocks to deposit eggs and sperm, and the eggs adhere to the bottom of the rocks, out of sight of the other fish which would eat them. I also saw the fry in the shallows later in August.

SeaRat

Last edited:
This regulator is now on Ebay.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2013 at 10:24 PM ----------

I know what you mean about the Dacor Olympic. If some didn't catch it above, I cut the LP hose about 4 inches from the regulator so I'd not dive it again. :wink:

Yes, the red-sided shiners did spawn this year! I did not see the actual spawing activity, but did see them in their spawning colors, and am sure that they had a good year. For those of you who don't know what the red-sided shiner is, here is a photo I took in the 1980s of this mating ritual. The shivers actually go under these big rocks to deposit eggs and sperm, and the eggs adhere to the bottom of the rocks, out of sight of the other fish which would eat them. I also saw the fry in the shallows later in August.

SeaRat

I should have said the Calypso III is on Ebay. I am getting ready to downsize and I am tired of hauling stuff around just to sit in a box.

John good to hear the Redside Shiners got off spawn. The steams have been in terrible shape around here for the last two years.

Back
Top Bottom