Calling all Science Divers to clean Aquarena Sunday October 12th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When is the next Certification class? This is something I think I would like to get into.

Dive Authorization course
Diving for Science at Aquarena
To register for the Diving for Science authorization course contact Eric Peterson. Once the course is completed individuals have the opportunity to participate in the many educational, research and conservation projects that occur throughout the year. Our Scientific Diving Program helps assure that all diving operations in Spring Lake are procedurally safe as well as environmentally sensitive. Once certified, divers have limitless opportunities to participate in our Volunteer Diving Program.

Scientific Diver Authorization Course
Weekly - Two days: Saturday & Sunday
This two day course focuses on The Edwards Aquifer, the Habitat, Endangered Species, Archaeology, State & Federal Regulations governing Spring Lake and advanced diving techniques to ensure protection of this critical habitat.
Research Dives
Once a diver receives authorization to dive in the lake by completing the authorization class, that diver is eligible to participate in research dives. Aquarena Center will maintain an updated list of research projects and diving requirements. The purpose: to match available divers to the diving needs of an appropriate research project.

Diving For Science Authorization Class|Level One $230

Schedule of Classes

link is Dive Authorization course : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

Oct 18 and 19 next classes looks like.

Shawn O'Shea

2008 AUGUST SEPTEMBER OCTOBER NOVEMBER DECEMBER
2nd & 3rd 6th & 7th 18th & 19th 15 & 16th 12th & 13th

Here is the list of Science divers signed up so far for Sunday:

Scott Sanders
Jeff Eichelberger
Tim and Julie McKenna
Kerry Cowlisha and buddy
Shawn O’Shea

We have a great dive team and any other science divers are welcome to join us. There are new showers added to the training dressing area. Ethan is removing coontails working his way to deep hole, he will let me know if we are going to pick up where he left off for coontail removal. Sounds like a great day of diving, not too early either. Sleep in and dive for the environment. See lots of fish, cooters and maybe a Garr or Eel. What a thought. Maybe the resident Nutria will make an appearnace. Can’t wait to get wet. Oh yes, we will pull underwater cam out and do a thorough monthly cleaning of it. Lift bag exercise. We may be using the DPV’s to clean up algae too. Pretty exciting day.

Send me your full name if you want to SCIENCE dive with us Sunday and I will get it on the approval form with Aquarena Center.

See everyone Sunday for diving FUN.

Hi Shawn,

Got my approval form today, Kerry and buddy were not on it. It looks like we have enough people for three teams. 3 on the camera and two teams of two. If you talk with Ethan, get him to assign us areas where we can do the most good.

If we have the dpv's, I would like to give the training area a quick once over. With the Lake Travis temp dropping, there will be more ow classes in Spring Lake.

Hi Shawn,

Got my approval form today, Kerry and buddy were not on it. It looks like we have enough people for three teams. 3 on the camera and two teams of two. If you talk with Ethan, get him to assign us areas where we can do the most good.

If we have the dpv's, I would like to give the training area a quick once over. With the Lake Travis temp dropping, there will be more ow classes in Spring Lake.

I will be calling Ethan on Friday to get the suggested information. I will contact Erica to get Kerry and buddy on the approval form. Teams are a great suggestion that will work best for us. Including adding the training area to the clean up.

I know Ethan is working diligently to try to complete the coontail removal before we get there this weekend. That would be nice, so we can get the black and dark green algae removed.

Should be an action packed day. Glad to have you join us.

Hope some others join in so we can get them on the approval form.

See you Sunday,

Shawn O'Shea :D
http://media.myfoxaustin.com/aquarena/index.htm

Last edited:
See if someone has a small BBQ grill we can use. If so I will bring some killer sausage for the SI between dives.

Here is the updated Science Diver Team for Sunday

Scott Sanders
Jeff Eichelberger
Tim and Julie McKenna
Kerry Cowlisha
Shawn O’Shea
Janice Veteran

Any more takers, it will get harder to get approval after today.

Join us for a wonderful day of DIVING :D

Shawn O'Shea

This is a snapshot of the fish going by underwater camera at deep hole at High Noon today.

Thought I would share it with the divers.

See everyone Sunday and we will brief and break into teams then.

Good to see the participation of the diving community.

Best Regards,

Shawn O'Shea

Attachments

• live fish picture oct 10_2008.jpg
    live fish picture oct 10_2008.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 30
Shawn,

Wish I could be there with you guys, have a great time. I will try and make the next one.

John

Shawn,

Wish I could be there with you guys, have a great time. I will try and make the next one.

John

YOUR always welcome to join us. Today I was boating and went up to Pace Bend to check out the area of Lake Travis for DIVING. Talk about some new area's with some huge grottos on the cliff side. Pretty exciting that on Lake Travis every turn and every cove has something to explore.

Tomorrow looking forward to diving with everyone starting at 11 AM in San Marcos.

SO :D

woo-hoo... my buddy is actually consenting to go diving in November! We're looking at taking the cert course 11/14-15... I'll try to get her to committ.. :)

Back
Top Bottom