Free workshop for Science Divers at Aquarena this Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austinspace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Driftwood has offered to come out this Sunday to teach us some tips, tricks and skills that he's aquired in his years of experience and service at Aquarena. Help out with questions we might now have regarding creatures, plant life and cleanup methods at Aquarena. Started with a discussion about what in the world to do with that darn algae that doesn't float. I think a workshop like this could fill a lot of gaps and make us better volunteer divers.

Short notice, but please send your request in to the dive coordinator if you'd like to join us this Sunday, Jan 17th, at 11am. I plan to arrive at 10:30am to set up.

John

I will be in scuba training all day Sunday.

Looks like another workshop should be put on in the near future for the ones that have plans on Sunday.

I second what cdrich said! A workshop like this one would be great, but I'm already committed elsewhere on Sunday.

Just to be clear, this is not a workshop endorsed or sanctioned by Aquarena Center. This is an A4 science diver helping other science divers learn how to play the game and more than happy to do it. Hell half the fun is watching new science divers fumble around.

I was thinking about hitting navigation from the Training Area down to Riverbed. Do some quick spring cleaning in Cream of Wheat, demonstrate getting medieval on Coontail and where/how to do the most productive critter hunt in Catfish and Diversion. The smaller the group the better, but all are welcome. The plan is entirely dependent on the PIC since I have not heard back from Aaron yet. That means no promises.

Last edited:
Rich (Navychop) and I had a really good dive with Jeff (driftwood) today. Went over details of navigating to all the sites accessible from the training area, keeping as low as possible over the hump into Riverbed. Jeff made up some helpful slates with bearings especially helpful for the turns into Catfish Hotel area. Spotted a nice catfish under the rock ledge there.

Very interesting was cleaning the bubbling spring spots ... reach your hand right into the sand and pull out the plant matter. Can improve the flow.

driftwood is perhaps the fastest finner I've seen, and equally speedy and adept at pulling out masses of coontail. His technique of rounding the plants up and sending them to the surface with an exhale really needs to be seen! Take off a Thursday morning sometime and ask to join him when you can.

As far as the algae goes - we'd bale it up and swim it over to the side then bury it in the mud. Quite time consuming to deal with this stuff. But critters being in there and the quantity of it rule out the idea of removing it in a big onion sack.

What a wonderful place we have in Aquarena to spend an hour underwater.

Thanks Jeff - the tips and tricks were very much appreciated.

Thanks to Rich and John for showing up and taking the time so that I could pass on what others have taught me about diving in the lake. Quite frankly, we got pretty lucky in getting assigned Catfish Hotel. I had hoped for that, but we all have to go with the next task on the board.

We hit the high points on a few areas not covered very well in the class. Coontail, we can float very quickly and in very large quantities. Algae can be a real pain to relocate unless it is very thick. Spring cleaning needs to be done delicately. I was able to show them the two routes out of the training area and the best way to navigate the humps at either end of Ossified Forrest. Both John and Rich now understand the term "love the mud" and why I feel the need for speed crossing between Ossified Forrest and Cream of Wheat.

The catfish was hanging out under the big boulder at the bottom of Catfish Hotel. That boulder is a gift the keeps on giving. ANYTIME you dive Catfish Hotel spend a minute to look under it and see if anyone is home.

John and Rich did a great job of "heads down diving" and kept their fins out of the mud. That really helps keeping the vis as good as possible while you are working. Takes some getting used to, but worth the effort to learn. Both of you were great to work with and I hope to dive with you in the future.

The same offer is open to all Science Divers. Either individually or a pair, if we can work out a time, I would be happy to give you the same tour.

Hey Driftwood, perhaps I can buddy up with you one day for a dive at Aqurena? I've been with a couple folks from this forum and I always learn something new - like Carrie's save-a-dive kit is bigger than my entire dive gear bag.

Aquarena is such a special place to dive and I like being productive and adding some value compared to just recreational diving. I'm becomming more comfortable out there but still need to learn a few more things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom