Called my first dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally support the split in forums. Great Lakes Wreck Divers and Great Lakes Quarry Divers. Enough with conditions at Gilboa in July. Lake Huron, Michigan, and Superior were outstanding all year.
Agreed. I like this forum a lot, but find the quarry diving vs. wreck diving chat divergent. +1 for the split. We'll still live next door to each other and likely peek into each others windows once in a while. Many GLWC probably lead dual lives. :eyebrow:

I would love to see you out on the boat one day.

I too would like to get out with you sometime.... It doesnt take much to get me seasick though... the NOAA scale you posted would have worked for me 15 years ago but now... uuuggghhh...

Glad you had a great season. Hope it is better in 2011

Rich

PS I am all for split forums... and I do lead a double life...

We're still having a great season! Attached are some pictures of our Scuba Rangers trip to the Charles A Street. On the right day, on the right wreck, even 8-year olds can be Great Lakes Wrecking Crew! Scuba Rangers Wreck Dive

I don't really agree with splitting the forum. It will just mean less activity in both. The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew is a regional forum, not really a topical one. Those that only dive the wrecks tend to look their noses down on the quarry divers, but it is all diving, and it is all good. The local quarry has more than once saved my diving day when I have been blown off the lake. The problem in the past is that not enough people have been posting their wreck dive experiences. That won't be solved by splitting the forum.

Agreed. I like this forum a lot, but find the quarry diving vs. wreck diving chat divergent. +1 for the split. We'll still live next door to each other and likely peek into each others windows once in a while. Many GLWC probably lead dual lives. :eyebrow:

I see no reason to split the Forum. I dive both wrecks and lakes/quarries and enjoy both. Just as I enjoy reading posts from both "Wreck Divers" and "Quarry Divers". There is something to learn from both groups.

Back to original topic of calling a dive. I too called my first dive on Lake Michigan. Similar situation to that of the OP. Nasty chop to the water, Sea sick old guy (me) chumming the water. I did the first dive of the pair but stayed on board for the second. I don't regret the decision, I was in no condition to dive. :vomit:

I don't really agree with splitting the forum. It will just mean less activity in both. The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew is a regional forum, not really a topical one. Those that only dive the wrecks tend to look their noses down on the quarry divers, but it is all diving, and it is all good. The local quarry has more than once saved my diving day when I have been blown off the lake. The problem in the past is that not enough people have been posting their wreck dive experiences. That won't be solved by splitting the forum.

I agree! At most make 2 sub-fora under GLWC, one for inviting folks to a quarry, one for tall tales about experiences on the lakes. Don't make us try to find 2 separate fora.

Ken

There's not enough activity on this forum as it is.

By the way, we can't all afford to dive the big lakes that often. Both money and logistic wise.

Some of you guys are starting to sound like GL snobs.

Boat,

In April Bruno's ran a special $375 for a full season pass for their charter. That is cheaper than four weekends of diving at Gilboa. I only know of two people who took advantage of this deal, one being bonecrusher. Your own shop Capital scuba maintains a very active wreck schedule. Diver's Inc. maintains a very active schedule. Etc., Etc. The charter rates are reasonable for the experience you have.

Quarries are wonderful and I utilize them from October to April (if I am not diving in the St. Clair River). I, and obviously a few others, believe it's time that we start focusing on what our main interest is in diving. I would like to see a forum that promotes all of the charters and activities related to wreck diving in these lakes. I do not enjoy seeing multiple posts for requests to dive haigh or Gilboa or some other quarry.

I also think it would be great to see the GLWC promote a summer m&g and charter multiple boats and wreck dive the heck out of one location. There are four charters out of Pt. Sanilac. It would be amazing to see all four heading out, full with divers who are off to explore the wrecks of our region and have a true open water experience.

Again just my opinion.

Bus

I think it is amazing that a discussion over spitting the forum for Quarry divers vs. wreck divers acutally generates posts and traffic. The quarries are a great place to practice and work on skills. I enjoy diving the quarries. But it is dedicated to spring and fall every year. Winter diving is dedicated to ice diving local "real" lakes and the summer is obviously dedicated to real work wreck diving. In order to be an experienced diver, one must experience many different conditions. Just diving the three quarries does not provide that level of experience. In know, like and dive with the OP, but it doesn't surprise me that a quarry dive was never called. The conditions are stable all year long. While diving the Great Lakes, conditions can change very quick. Thats why we have so many real wrecks and not just cars, busses, and airplanes that have been sunk on purpose.

There is no "this diving is better than that diving", but when someone only dives one sheltered, constand location, I question the overall experience. One thing that really perplexes me is the "technical quarry divers". The twin 100's I now dive I purchased from a supposed "technical" diver who only dove Gilboa with them. How can you call yourself a technical diver when you haven't ventured out beyond Gilboa???

Well if we are going to divide the forums why not have a separate sub forum for each quarry as well? I mean the local Ohio quarries all detest each other and would like to see the other one fail for any of many reasons. Then we have the active Chicago area group who uses Haigh quarry. Oh and lets not forget the regional dive clubs who already have a sub forum.:gas::gas::gas:

It does appear that things are becoming quite snobbish indeed. The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew was founded to support all divers in the great lakes region and you did not have to dive in the great lakes to become a member. It is certainly the mission of the Wrecking Crew to promote great lakes diving, but we should not discourage divers of any level from participating in the forum. I too wish there were more discussions of great lakes diving, but that must come from the people who are diving with the charters in the great lakes. Let's not make this an exclusive our way only club that looks down their noses at those that don't dive like we do (DIR comes to mind).:idk:

We have already lost a great number of particpants from Scubaboard who have left for other social networking sites. Let's support all of the members of the forum and who knows maybe someday you may be the one to convince a quarry diver to make their first great lakes dive. :grouphug:

I love chartering in the great lakes, Port Sanilac and Bruno's has become my favorite charter service this summer, but each has something for everyone. Sorry if you were not specifically called out in this post.

Flame suit on.:angrymob:

Back
Top Bottom