Californians in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up in Corpus Christi - it's a nice community, economy is primarily agribusiness and petroleum/refining/petrochemicals. For IT tech stuff population density, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin would rank hihger I believe than Corpus Christi, but that's not to say such a job market doesn't exist there. Living along the I-35 corridor between SA & Austin may provide you with a good 'fit' between career, proximity to two major cities without actually being in the city, and still have reasonable Texas - size transit time to the coast.

Beach diving - some is done at the Port Aransas jetties, during certain conditions. The one time my wife & I tried to go on such a dive with someone who had done it before, the experienced diver thumbed the dive due to the conditions, so we never actually did such a dive.

There is a huge amount of freshwater runoff along the coastal mileage of Texas and Louisiana, so you have to get several miles out for blue water clarity. We'll be going on our 5th attempt to dive the Flower Gardens NMS the weekend after Labor Day this year - all other trip attempts were canceled by the boat captains due to weather.

Austin has LONG been described as 'the most californized piece of Texas' - at least since my earliest post-high-school days (a ways back). I still have friends in the Austin area, and we last visited it over Christmas 2004. The I-35 traffic between North Austin & South Austin was the worst I'd ever seen for that area. In 1983, there was talk of creating a I35E and I35W, similar to the DFW area, to put a major artery on the west side of Austin, but this never materialized. Even on Sunday, such transit had its periods of bumper-to-bumper around the Downtown / Town Lake area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom