Californians in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree on Austin.
Plus, there is the San Marcos River not too far away.

Austin is a wonderful city that is being destroyed at rapid pace.
We just need to introduce you to some good BBQ, Mexican food, and Margaritas after that there will be no going back. Besides, Texas rivals California for silicone sales and plastic surgery!

Left coast commies- HA, I love it.

UT Arlington Grad and I bought the ring to back it up.
I taught scuba for UT Arlington as a NAUI Instructor, DAMN fine school!

Andrew :D

Well... I throw my 2 cents in here... and maybe able to help a little... I moved here from San Diego, CA.
I moved into the DFW area and was really in "culture shock" for the first six months! Things here are at a MUCH slower pace...
My cost of living dropped (of course a plus for me!)
But I do miss being so close to the ocean...
If you have any questions you can PM me and I might be able to help...

Good Luck!!

Left-Coast Commie??!!?? Hey! I resemble that remark! :D Well...I'm more of a greenie than a commie...as I figure most responsible divers are.

I enjoy my Californian laid-back attitude on life...but unfortunately here in the Los Angeles area the "laid-back" has been overturned by the "hustle-and-flow". It's killing my hippie, free-love, spiritual aura. I can't seem to get my chakras in order here... :wink:

I am a big ol' Linux geek/nerd, so Austin sounds very cool...and I'd love to live near a UNI.

ANYWAY, are there any good coastal features there? I don't think anyone mentioned beach diving. Maybe I'll use Google Earth to check it out from on high.

@tx.lakerats: yeah...I'll PM you.

@AggieDad: (pointing at dlndavid) HE SAID IT!!! :lol3:

I enjoy watching a good game of football regardless of who's playing. I'll cheer on both teams if they're doing well (must be the Commie in me).

Anyways, thanks for the posts beautiful people...hope to someday see you!

undrwater:
The wife and I are considering a move to Texas. For her it means living closer to her family (who live in Central Mexico), for me it means a slower pace of life (I imagine actually exhalling :11: ).

If you come to Houston exhaling is fine but you might still want to think twice before inhaling :frown:

We are challenging CA for the unenviable title of most polluted city in America.

Guess it will prevent homesickness......

No No No !!!!!!!!!Anyone thinking of moving to Austin needs to realise that its overblown hype. The only places a Californian or anybody else should even consider moving to is Houston or Dallas. :wink:

ianr33:
No No No !!!!!!!!!Anyone thinking of moving to Austin needs to realise that its overblown hype. The only places a Californian or anybody else should even consider moving to is Houston or Dallas. :wink:

So is that a "Not in my back yard!!"? :wink:

undrwater:
So is that a "Not in my back yard!!"? :wink:

They say the only thing that scares a native Texan is a Yankee with a U-Haul.

Beach diving - The Continental Shelf is fairly shallow and doesn't drop into "deep" water for quite a ways out. Vis is not great but you can watch the oil seep out of the bottom. You can get fairly good rig diving not too far off shore but we do not have the underwater features you would be used to in CA. until you get a few miles out. The Flower Gardens are fantastic but they are 110 miles out. I am not too familiar with diving out there but I did do a lot of fishing. Weather is a constant thing to watch.

Howdy! Native Californian here imported to Austin 3 yrs ago today! I guess I fit in pretty good even with my lack of computer knowledge, aversion to excessive drinking & smoking, and no musical skill whatsoever... even roped myself a native for a partner! My husband would say--- nooooooo go to Houston! He hates that his hometown is growing so fast. Get ready for a slower pace, friendly people, convenient lake diving, beautiful hill country, looooooong summers, and great food! My only complaint is bugs (they really are bigger & hungrier here, especially the skeeters), traffic (it's worse here than San Diego), and the food (because its all so good I cant stop eating!). I fell in love with Austin (& my hubby) on very 1st visit, moved 3 months later & never looked back!

I’m a native Californian SF bay area. Been here since 97 got out of the Army at
Ft Hood, and now live in Houston. Dude if I could afford to move back I would. And don’t worry about telling people here how much the Cowboys suck I do it every day.:D

I think you'll find the vast majority of so-called "Texans" aren't natives either, at least in the larger cities (Dallas-Ft Worth, Houston, Austin...) you might be more interested in ending up in. There's a lot of transplants here. I'm originally a damn Yank (Ohio born) but have been in Texas since 1988 aside from a brief (18 month) stint in the L.A. Basin that I didn't much enjoy. Get a bumper sticker that says something stupid like "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could" and the naysayers will swallow their tongues and hold races inviting you over for BBQ. :)

Seriously, there's the more country-fried areas and there's the more metropolitan areas. You probably wouldn't get a warm welcome in a C&W bar dressed to the 9's in L.A. finery, but then again I haven't set foot in one willingly myself in 15 years and don't feel ostracized. There's plenty of more metropolitan/international or urban flavor to be had as well. I don't think you'll face much wrath unless you're spending a lot of time saying "gee in California we did it THIS way..." to make it a point you're originally from there. My guess is Oregonians 'shun' somewhat because they're afraid to be annexed into Nor-Norcal. At least that's what my Hillsboro-living brother says. That, and real estate inflation in CA means you can snatch up the most expensive properties up there making them jealous. :wink:

As others mentioned, don't expect too much of a slowdown in lifestyle. Traffic can be as bad or worse in Houston or Dallas or Austin as you're probably used to, air pollution/ozone days are a relatively common event in the summer, but while our property taxes do bite I don't think its fair to say they're anywhere on par with a 9-11% state income tax you have to face now. You might even have to face a pay cut to move depending on your industry, but as real estate is on the order of 1/5th the CA price even a sizeable percentage cut is still a huge cost-of-living improvement.

Diving wise, in-state mostly you're going to find lakes (muddy/cloudy), the occasionally spring-fed scuba park (also silty/cloudy, but with vis approaching 25' on good days). Not much diving directly off the coastline, but look up the Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank, and rig dives that can be chartered. I haven't done the FG myself but everyone raves about it being Carribbean in quality (or better), so its definitely on my list. Flights from here to Coz, Cancun, etc are relatively inexpensive compared to from the rest of the country, and I think Continental just started a new non-stop from Houston to Belize, which is another good dive spot. [EDIT - I see now from your profile you're already aware of Belize... :wink: ]. To the Carribbean you can usually fly American or others to San Juan PR and then down. (I usually build up my FF miles to fly the DFW->SJU route free and only have to pay from SJU down to wherever).

So in short, I wouldn't consider ostracizm a big risk. But I also wouldn't move here to dive...but you can keep diving if you do move here. I'm afraid as a DFWite I don't know more in specific about the Corpus area to tell you - but I will advise you to expect higher humidity in the southern part of the state (which would include Houston and Austin) than you're probably used to in CA.

Welcome in advance, just in case!!

RTRski

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom