Californians in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I are considering a move to Texas. For her it means living closer to her family (who live in Central Mexico), for me it means a slower pace of life (I imagine actually exhalling :11: ).

Therefore I have 2 basic questions:

1. What are the cities closest to good dive destinations (ie: beach dives as well as boat dives)?
  2. How well will a native Californian be received in Texas (I ask because I've had friends who have returned from Oregon after being shunned by the locals there)?

She's got some family in Corpus Christie, so that would be the logical place to be near.

Thanks in advance for your insightful responses! :wink:

I would think if you went there, talked real loud like you owned the place, you'd fit in just right. Don't forget to throw in Y'all every once in awhile. :D

dlndavid:
I would think if you went there, talked real loud like you owned the place, you'd fit in just right. Don't forget to throw in Y'all every once in awhile. :D

:11ztongue Somehow I don't think they'd buy it! Especially when my "dude", "totally", "man", "rad", and other California colloquialisms spew out of my mouth.

Picture this:

"Dude! That was a totally awesome dive Y'all!"

undrwater:
The wife and I are considering a move to Texas. For her it means living closer to her family (who live in Central Mexico), for me it means a slower pace of life (I imagine actually exhalling :11: ).

Therefore I have 2 basic questions:

1. What are the cities closest to good dive destinations (ie: beach dives as well as boat dives)?
  2. How well will a native Californian be received in Texas (I ask because I've had friends who have returned from Oregon after being shunned by the locals there)?

She's got some family in Corpus Christie, so that would be the logical place to be near.

Thanks in advance for your insightful responses! :wink:

I guess the question is, "do you want to dive lakes and the Gulf sometimes ~ OR ~ dive the Gulf and lakes sometimes ? "

Corpus is a good town not too small - not too big. I might retire there myself !

N.E. Texas near Dallas has some good lake and Scuba Park diving and is also close to Oklahoma and Arkansas diving too. It's a pretty long drive to Mexico from Dallas.

There is always Del Rio near Lake Amistad !! :crafty:

As for the California thing..... Hmmm :06: They hate Texans in California so I guess it's a wash 50/50 = 1 = same thing ! You'll probably catch less S*** here then we do there.

Nah we don't hate Texans in California, just the Cowboys. :wink:

dlndavid:

That's exactly how we know one of y'all Left Coast Commies has sneaked into the Republic of Tejas! :D

:lol:

undrwater:
:11ztongue Somehow I don't think they'd buy it! Especially when my "dude", "totally", "man", "rad", and other California colloquialisms spew out of my mouth.

Picture this:

"Dude! That was a totally awesome dive Y'all!"

If you say something like -- "Dude, that dive was totally gnarly, man!!!" -- I think you'll be all right... :)

I would imagine that Austin is the place that you want to be. Hills, movies stars...oh well you get the song. There is Texas and there is Austin. Are you a computer nerd? Austin! You don't ask who do you work for but whether you are in software or hardware. Here you work for the computer industry or for someone that supports the computer industry.
Are you a hippie? Austin - Hippie Hollow on Lake Travis...if you like looking at mostly gay old men...or so I have heard. And yes there is something wrong with that. IMHO!
AND WE HAVE LESLIE! Don't ask until you get here.

Diving....Lake Travis, Aquarena Springs, three hours to Corpus/Rockport for the Flower Gardens. Three hours to Dallas and to Houston.
Traffic...LA like and getting worse.
Taxes...CA like and getting worse.
House Prices...WAY below CA

You were semi okay with me until you mentioned hating the Cowboys...Them's fightin words - DUDE! Or as Hank Hill would say "I'll kick your *****" :wink:
If you really want to endear yourself and fit in there is one way to do it. Just look at everyone in the eye, smile and say GIG EM' especially here in Austin, home of the university that thinks they have something to brag about. :11:

Seriously though, just don't act like a Californian and you will do fine.

In case your wondering about the title...Cereal State...Fruits, Nuts and Flakes.

AggieDad:
If you really want to endear yourself and fit in there is one way to do it. Just look at everyone in the eye, smile and say GIG EM' especially here in Austin, home of the university that thinks they have something to brag about. :11:

There's a university in Austin???? Oh, yeah, I forgot.....St. Edward's! :eyebrow:

GIG 'EM AGGIES!! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom