Cabbage/Chicken soup diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divmstr223

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, like many of you, I been battling weight for probably the past 5-6 years now. I'm 5'11" and 210 lbs at the moment. Ideally I should probably be in the 178 lb range, more likely the 180's. Anyhow I first started the Atkins type diet when I reached a weight of 231 lbs. Ugh, I was to tired of looking flabby and out of shape so I stuck to this diet for about 40 days and lost around 25 to 28 lbs and felt good. I had taken a break from that diet for a long period of time and gained some back, then tried the Cabbage soup diet and it worked great (Subsituting the Cabbage soup for chicken soup). I went from about 209 lbs to 192 lbs in about 5 weeks. So both of these diets worked well for me, but you have to stick to them or they won't work. Unfortunately like I said in the beginning, I'm back to around 210 lbs...I fell off the wagon a bit, but I'm still down from my original 231 lbs which is good and I have been for a few years now.

If any of you have heard of the Cabbage soup diet, it's a very good diet that includes alot of fruits, veggies, some carbs and protein.....and I feel good while doing it. I have subsituted the Cabbage soup for Chicken soup, not much difference except for the way it tastes..I got sick of the cabbage soup after the first run.

Has anyone else been on the Cabbage Soup diet and what are your thoughts about it? Also, if anyone wants the recipe for the Chicken soup, hit me up and I'll be happy to give it to you....

Steve :D

I have been on weight watchers for 2 months now, and I have gone from 228 to 204. I wouldn't mind having the chicken soup recipe if you want to post it, or, pm me.

Good luck.

lead bottom:
I have been on weight watchers for 2 months now, and I have gone from 228 to 204. I wouldn't mind having the chicken soup recipe if you want to post it, or, pm me.

Good luck.

I'm working a double shift today....when I get home in the wee hrs of the morning, I will absolutely PM it to you.....actually I'll post it for anyone that might want it....It's pretty tasty and very good for you....:wink:

Steve

Thanks.

lead bottom:

And congrats on losing the lbs on weight watchers.....good for you!!! Keep up the good work...:D

Supernal:
Please send me more about the cabbage soup diet. You can PM me.

Here is the link to the 7 day plan for the diet.

http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/eating-plan.html

Stick to this plan to the tee and you will lose alot of weight and feel great. I love this diet. I will post the recipe for the Chicken soup later tonight. Just substitute the Chicken soup for the Cabbage soup and all is good. The cabbage soup is just a little on the tasteless side and gets old quick.

:D

Not to throw cold water on it, but no diet, diet plan or organization in the world has ever been proven to work reliably over the long term. Even the absolute most sucessful plan (which last time I checked was weight-watchers) had a 5 year sucess rate of less than 5%.

The specific foods in the Cabbage and Chicken Soup diet could just as easily be any soup and any vegetable. They're low density foods (low calories per weight & volume), so no matter what you do, if you swap out cheeseburgers for soup, you're going to be consuming less calories. However, it's hard to argue with biology, and people weren't meant to eat one food forever, so eventually, you'll give up, and start eating regular food again.

The only thing that actually works permanently is a permanent lifestyle change that includes more physical activity and less calories Don't cut out real food, but do cut out wasted calories like sugared soda and fruit juice. Replacing a couple of cokes a day with water will add up to 15 or 20 lost pounds over a few years, with virtually no other changes.

Don't switch to artifically sweetened drinks. They're metabolized strangely and there is some evidence that they may actually increase your desire for sweets.

Good luck!

Terry

Divmstr223:
Okay, like many of you, I been battling weight for probably the past 5-6 years now. I'm 5'11" and 210 lbs at the moment. Ideally I should probably be in the 178 lb range, more likely the 180's. Anyhow I first started the Atkins type diet when I reached a weight of 231 lbs. Ugh, I was to tired of looking flabby and out of shape so I stuck to this diet for about 40 days and lost around 25 to 28 lbs and felt good. I had taken a break from that diet for a long period of time and gained some back, then tried the Cabbage soup diet and it worked great (Subsituting the

Divmstr223:
Okay, like many of you, I been battling weight for probably the past 5-6 years now. I'm 5'11" and 210 lbs at the moment. Ideally I should probably be in the 178 lb range, more likely the 180's.

Why this body weight? Were you in the 178+-3lbs range for at least 3 years? If you never held steady at that range for more than a few weeks or months in the best of cases, you're already fighting a losing battle.

So both of these diets worked well for me
No they did not. You went from one extreme to the other, and if Atkins worked for you in the first place, then why change it to its anti-thesis? The proof is that you put weight back on. A succesful "diet" is a nutritional plan that involves lifestyle changes.

but you have to stick to them or they won't work
Anything that is so restrictive and relies only on certain foods while completely eliminating others (good sources, not processed refined stuff) is bound to fail, sooner than later. There's no need to "STICK" to anything in particular. What is needed is little continuous lifestyle changes that eventually mold into permanent healthier habits that replace the bad ones.

Unfortunately like I said in the beginning, I'm back to around 210 lbs...I fell off the wagon a bit, but I'm still down from my original 231 lbs which is good and I have been for a few years now.
And you will continue yo-yoing unless you make rational lifestyle changes. Credit to you for staying away for the 230s, but shifting about 20 lbs is nothing in which to take pride.

If any of you have heard of the Cabbage soup diet, it's a very good diet that includes alot of fruits, veggies, some carbs and protein.....and I feel good while doing it. I have subsituted the Cabbage soup for Chicken soup, not much difference except for the way it tastes..I got sick of the cabbage soup after the first run.

Has anyone else been on the Cabbage Soup diet and what are your thoughts about it? Also, if anyone wants the recipe for the Chicken soup, hit me up and I'll be happy to give it to you....

The original purpose of the "diet" was detoxification and cleansing of the body, so more than a diet, this was a routine of cleansing, a good way to cope with fasting from solids. It goes along the lines of the "master cleanser" (or lemonade diet) and juicing. All are designed to give your insides a clean slate, with weight reduction being a byproduct, not the goal itself. Some proponents will call from complete elimination of all animal products, others allow very limited usage after completion of the cleansing. Depending on how the participants stuck to those guidelines, they would put the weight back on in different amounts, regardless, they ALL would always put weight back on.

You went from 209 to 192 in five weeks, that averages a loss rate of 3.4 lbs per week. The maximum recommended safe loss is 2 lbs per week, and that is for serious cases. Somebody fitting your description would've been better off in the 1 lb/week range. You drained all your lean tissues at that loss rate. No wonder the weight came back.

How active are you BTW? How often do you engage in an honest, challenging exercise program? How often do you engage in challenging resistance training which is the key for permanent losses? Or did you buy into that "low intensity fat burning" nonsense which is poor understanding of science and a mere myth?

I have no problem with the aforementioned "diets" if they are used for their true purposes which is coping with fasting during cleansing, but if they're being manipulated and being sold as weight control methods, well, be prepared to keep getting dissapointed.

Lifestyle changes?
YES!!
Crashing excluding diets?
NO!!
Challenging, smart physical activity and resistance training?
YES!!
Low intensity "fat burning" cardio?
NO!!

Web, I certainly won't argue your reasoning, because you're right. But this is just a diet, not a lifestyle change. A total lifestyle and permanant eating habit change certainly would be better for you, no doubt about that.

But in the "diet" sense, if you are looking to get a good start and lose some weight, this diet works great because you are eating healthy without any of the garbage.

I'm starting this diet again tomorrow morning. I'll keep everyone posted on how i'm doing....:D

Back
Top Bottom