is HP133 right for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razorseal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been doing some research and some tanks after my last dive. I've been using tanks from work which are all AL80 and couple AL63.

I'm 6'2 @210 lbs and I last about 35 minutes to 1000psi at about 80 feet with AL80. if I'm going against current etc, I'm at about 30 minutes.

when I go on charter dives, alot of people usually have steel tanks and I don't last as much as they do, and one of the first ones to come up. so I'm trying to extend my time.

I'm not too worried about a tank's weight on land. I'd be happy to shed off my lead weights as well which I lug around in my dive bag, so it's almost 20 lbs i'm lugging around. would be nice to carry like 6-8 lbs instead in my bag :)

hp133 seems pretty similar in size to an AL80, so I figured I just go for the big boy from the start.

Any other suggestions to this? Should I be looking at something smaller? is the 133 bit of an overkill?

For shallow beach dives, I will probably stick with AL80 or AL63

I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much gas on your back when you're diving, but mMaybe it's just me, but I had a hard time balancing out a HP133 compared to my tall HP120's. The HP133 is a fatboy (8" diameter IIRC), my HP120 is 7.25". I'm 6'-1" and a bit heavier than you, so of course YMMV.

Another option would be an HP100. It is about the same size as the AL80 you've been diving, doesn't swing from negative to positive buoyancy and gives you more gas.

I would strongly advise against an AL100, it is a pig of a tank with a nasty negative to positive buoyancy swing and unless you get a real 3300 PSI fill, its capacity is not that much more than the AL80s.

I use to used PST HP 130 in single tank, you'll have no problems.
One thing to recognize.
Is aluminum tanks are 7.25 inches diameter. And usually the bigger tanks are 8inchs diameter.
Doesn't seem like much, but it definitely changes your center of gravity, and can feel like it rolls you more...
I have HP120 that are 7.25, and are a bit nicer in that respect.

You also don't state what you are using,for BCD....
Single cam BCD on a 130 is not the most stable, I would suggest a BP&W. Or 2 cam straps.

In cold water consider twin LP 72
My go to tanks, 6.9inch diameter

Given your height, good options to consider would be HP120, HP 133 or LP104/108. HP100 is probably a tad bit too short for your height.

HP120 is 7.25" diameter like the AL80s but a bit longer. HP133 is 8" diameter and similar in height to an AL80.

If I were to make a recommendation, I'd say HP120. They are more common here in FL than HP133. Those 8" diameter tanks can be challenging both on charters and in the water.

Allow me to add. These are the only single tanks I dive. I'm 5'10.

HP 133 or LP104/108

I dive in that area a lot. The hp 133 is a good choice but it is going to feel big heavy and slow for a few dives, but then you will get used to it.

Having way more air than you need, makes me feel so much more relaxed on a dive and if I have to really exert myself, like chase something down up current, it won't require me to cut the dive short.

Wearing 20 lbs of lead to dive locally in warm water sounds like way more lead than you need. I am shorter and heavier than you and can dive that steel tank (with a small pony) and NO lead, with a 3 mm suit and still be pretty negative (and can hang from the smb on a safety stop).

You could probably drop the lead to 8 lbs and most likely reduce the weight further with a heavy steel tank.
With large steel tanks, I can often get three dives out of two tanks by whiping some gas between them on the surface interval, which might save me $11 a day or something.

Edit: If you really don't want to take more tank than is needed for a single drift dive, the HP 100 steels are also a good choice, basically the same size as an 80 and a lot more air and a lot heavier in the water.

Back
Top Bottom