Cabbage/Chicken soup diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Izzy, dude, why are you jumping all over me here?

I'm not a dietitian and I'm not claiming to know anything special about what's good for the body....This is just a program that worked for me to lose some much needed weight. I'm not claiming that I orginated it or it's the best way for you. just trying to share something postive that yeilded me some good results.

I tried the low carb diet long before I heard of the Soup diet and it worked for me. I got tired of eating so much meat/cheese and just low carb food all the time so when I decided to diet again I tried something different.

I do excercise quite often and I feel good when I'm dieting. I won't argue that I should make a lifestyle change for the better, we all certainly could. And I certainly didn't open the thread to debate and argue this diet, it's not worth all that.

Your position against this type of diet is well noted....and thanks for sharing your opinion on this.

Steve

Web Monkey:
Not to throw cold water on it, but no diet, diet plan or organization in the world has ever been proven to work reliably over the long term. Even the absolute most sucessful plan (which last time I checked was weight-watchers) had a 5 year sucess rate of less than 5%.

The specific foods in the Cabbage and Chicken Soup diet could just as easily be any soup and any vegetable. They're low density foods (low calories per weight & volume), so no matter what you do, if you swap out cheeseburgers for soup, you're going to be consuming less calories. However, it's hard to argue with biology, and people weren't meant to eat one food forever, so eventually, you'll give up, and start eating regular food again.

The only thing that actually works permanently is a permanent lifestyle change that includes more physical activity and less calories Don't cut out real food, but do cut out wasted calories like sugared soda and fruit juice. Replacing a couple of cokes a day with water will add up to 15 or 20 lost pounds over a few years, with virtually no other changes.

Don't switch to artifically sweetened drinks. They're metabolized strangely and there is some evidence that they may actually increase your desire for sweets.

Good luck!

Terry

You're quite right. I'm going to be using the Cabbage diet as a cleanse and then make the soup just to fill me up when I want a snack. Lifestyle changes are the most important thing, and the hardest to do!

I really don't mean to be a wet blanket, but a "good start" that involves a drastic change really isn't.

If you want a good start, wake up tomorrow and tell yourself that soda, desert and fast food are all trying to kill you. Give them up cold-turkey and you can pretty much whatever real food you want and lose weight painlessly, and safely.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. The last thing I'll say is that whatever you lose quickly will come back with a vengance and be harder to get rid of next time.

Terry

Divmstr223:
Web, I certainly won't argue your reasoning, because you're right. But this is just a diet, not a lifestyle change. A total lifestyle and permanant eating habit change certainly would be better for you, no doubt about that.

But in the "diet" sense, if you are looking to get a good start and lose some weight, this diet works great because you are eating healthy without any of the garbage.

I'm starting this diet again tomorrow morning. I'll keep everyone posted on how i'm doing....:D

Web Monkey:
I really don't mean to be a wet blanket, but a "good start" that involves a drastic change really isn't.

If you want a good start, wake up tomorrow and tell yourself that soda, desert and fast food are all trying to kill you. Give them up cold-turkey and you can pretty much whatever real food you want and lose weight painlessly, and safely.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. The last thing I'll say is that whatever you lose quickly will come back with a vengance and be harder to get rid of next time.

Terry

As I said before, I totally agree with you and it has come back.....I'm back up to 210lbs again because I just can't seem to shake the fast food and I'll probably never ever give up the diet soda....LOL...I love my diet coke like some people just have to have their coffee......

I will cutting out those bad things from my daily eating very soon.....I know the fast food is totally bad for me and I will give it up....the soda will stay, but the sweets and sugar can go too......

:14:

I did the Cabbage soup diet a few times, a couple weeks on, a couple weeks off. I lost a total of 25lbs. My goal was only 15lbs. So it worked much better then i expected. I havent been on it since last summer and havent gained anything back. I know everyone is not that fortunate to have those results but it was great for me!

I will also be going back on the Cabbage soup diet again. Not for weight loss, but just because it felt good to get all that junk i eat out of my system. I had much more energy then i had with my "non-diet" eating habits. Some where in between home, McDonalds and work i forget how much i love veggies, water, and fruit.

To be honest, the first few days are tough. But the potato and the end of the second is such a treat. Like a reward for making it through the tough part.

Divmstr223....quick question...the cabbage/chicken soup veggie fruit diet....how is your "wind" or "gas" situation (fluctuance)????

I found that the moment I added more greens to my diet, I had quite a few problems with my stomach :) !!!!

whatdecostop?:
Divmstr223....quick question...the cabbage/chicken soup veggie fruit diet....how is your "wind" or "gas" situation (fluctuance)????

I found that the moment I added more greens to my diet, I had quite a few problems with my stomach :) !!!!

LOL....I never had much of a problem with that. Some day your stomach may feel a little squirrly, but most of the time it's just fine. To be honest, I found myself having less gas than normal. It may affect everyone differently. :14:

Okay , sorry for the delay....long day at work yesterday. This soup is nothing special, but healthy and a good substitute for the Cabbage soup. :D

3-4 Chicken Thighs with skin and bones
1/2 Head chopped cabbage
1 large chopped onion
1-2 cans of green beans (drain juice)
5-6 stalks of celery, chopped
1 pkg of mushrooms, or 1 can (drained)
9-10 Chicken boullion cubes
1/2 bag of small baby carrots, or 4 or so regular carrots, chopped

*Thaw Chicken and take skin off if you choose before boiling.
*Boil the chicken first in 8-9 cups of water using a good size cooking pot, reduce by a cup of water if you prefer a thicker soup in the end. Fully cook the meat until it's tender and no longer taught.
*Add Boullion cubes, veggies, along with a tsp of garlic salt, pepper, or whatever seasoning you like in you soup.
*Continue to boil until all of the veggies are fully cooked and meat starts to fall off the bone.
*Once the soup is fully cooked and done, take out the chicken bones.

And that's it....it's a very tasty and healthy soup that you can eat as much as you want of during the diet.

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have, I'm pretty sure everything is there and I plan on making more today...:14:

Supernal:
You're quite right. I'm going to be using the Cabbage diet as a cleanse and then make the soup just to fill me up when I want a snack. Lifestyle changes are the most important thing, and the hardest to do!

The guidelines given in the website are the worst I ever seen. That 7 day program is anything but cleansing. It definitely restricts calories, thus the losses, but healthy? Since when is the sodium-loaded, artificially-colored-and-flavored buillon cubes and lipton mix "Healthy"? Reward with a baked potato with butter? A simply starch loaded with butter? Is that healthy? 8 bananas in one day? That could be tolerable for a male over 200 lbs, but for smaller people, it's more likely to give cramps and upset stomachs. Please let's use some common sense here!

The original version called for exclusive feedings of cabagge soup and raw juices during fasting along with lots of water.

For the cleansing to be effective, the osmotic gradient in the mucose of the intestines has to be in the denser side to start releasing impurities. That means that whatever is consumed has to be VERY light and avoid at all costs processed foods and hard to break down foods (as in meat) Nothing that could provide the cleansing effect is given in the site.

Frankly, I'm fed up with this thread. You want to do it, that's fine... you're free to do so. You have been informed, so make an educated decision. Adios!

Back
Top Bottom