C. Brac: Nov vs Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
We would like to go to C. Brac for the 1st time this year. Due to our schedule, we can go either any time in November or during the 1st 2 weeks of December. Considering that we'd like to go to BB Wall at Little Cayman at least once, which depends on the weather and surf, which option would be better?
Thanks.

If you really want Bloody Bay look at staying at little cayman. It is dependent on the weather. We went to lc 1st week in November and only went to BB twice. If you were at Brac you probably would not have gone at all. I have been to both and will not go back to Brace. The diving is that much better! We won't be back during that time of year. Diving on the south side was great but diving on the north side (bloody bay) was and is that much better

Dec can be real iffy weather wise with fronts that could keep boats in and limit diving days at a time. We went to LC in 2010 for a long weekend of diving in early December. Would not go in Dec again. We were lucky. When we arrived the boats had not been out for 2-3 days due to the weather. We made it out our first dive day but we were in big seas and was not all that comfortable with a noticeable chill in the air. The seas were so rough our mooring line snapped in the middle of the dive. It was an adventure trying to get all the divers back in the boat in rolling seas drifting in towards the iron shore. From my experience and all that I have read, you would be better off not planning a Dec trip.

Nov and Dec weather is fine. Water still warm and the winds will come, but you will have a day to go to Little Cayman.
Personally, when everyone heads to LC, I will grab tanks and head to the South East coast. Awesome deep walls.

Plenty of fun dives if the East and Northeast winds blow. Don't stress about someone getting better dives, sometimes the fish swim across from LC to Brac!! Have fun

sometimes the fish swim across from LC to Brac!! Have fun
Thanks! :) Our choice of CB over LC is based on our recent finding that no dive shop on LC rents out tanks for shore diving (we called several of them already), and we would like to do at least some.

Thanks! :) Our choice of CB over LC is based on our recent finding that no dive shop on LC rents out tanks for shore diving (we called several of them already), and we would like to do at least some.

tarponchik,

I'm heading to Little Cayman in May. I'm a macro shooter, so I love to explore shallow sandy bottoms and grassbeds. I emailed the Little Cayman Dive Resort where we're booked to see if I could get tanks from them, and this was their response.

Hi, Mike -

Of course we have tanks available for rent. We'd just want to make sure you
stayed away from the area where our boats come and go from the dock. And If
you're willing to do a short walk down the beach, there is a small island
offshore that has great snorkeling and shallow diving. You can wade or swim
out to it. Or we have kayaks available for rental, and the trip there is a
usually a very nice one.

You can make those arrangements at the dive shop when you arrive.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Debbie

This was the email address the message was sent from in case you wanted to explore it further.

LIttle Cayman Beach Resort
little@reefseas.com

And I would be curious to hear if anyone has actually mucked around in the shallows from LCBR...

Have not mucked around in the shallows at LCBR but there is very good shore diving on the north side of LC at Jackson's wall and reef. Beach entry.
The area near the LCBR dock is all turtle grass and there is a fair amount of boat traffic and current once you get away from the shore.

In a comparison of Brac versus LC diving, IMO, LC wins hands down.
If you are staying on Brac and hope to get across to LC do dive for a day or 2, the boat ride can get pretty wet, long and rough. I'd personally just plan to stay on LC and not worry about the shore diving.

We got negative response from guys called Pirate Point over the phone. Via email, Southern Cross did not actually say "no" but strongly discouraged us from planning any shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom