TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - Oct. 29 - Nov. 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Humidity, Conception trial, Orca, and more
(please scroll down for details)
In case you're wondering why you feel so parched . . .

SANTA ANAS KICK IN - One good thing about them is that the winds generally blow off-shore so it flattens out the surf and improves visibility at the beaches. One downside though, is that they can also blow straight into Avalon which raises the surf there in the Park and can also cause problems in the harbor. I thought about all of this because I was on a call today and really felt like my throat was getting gravelly and dry. And then I happened to glance over at my weather station and realized how low the humidity was due to the Santa Anas: 1%. Yikes!!!!​
mail
CONCEPTION FIRE TRIAL BEGINS - The trial of Jerry Boylan, captain of the Conception the night it caught fire four years ago killing 34 people, has begun in downtown Los Angeles. Boylan is accused of conduct or neglect by a ship's officer, specifically that he failed to assign a night watchman as required by Coast Guard regulations and that this failure resulted in the fire not being discovered quickly enough which led to the deaths of the 34 people. The trial will likely take a few weeks and is being covered by the Los Angeles Times. We will also try to get you apprised of any major developments.

SAWFISH PUPS BORN AT SEAWORLD ORLANDO - Two Sawfish pups have been born at this aquarium and it's significant because Sawfish are a critically-endangered species. It also illustrates how one of the roles of public aquariums can be to learn how to save species that are endangered and hopefully improve wild stock as well. Read more about it here: SAWFISH PUPS ARE BORN.

TRAVEL WITH US IN 2024 - You'll get the November newsletter in a couple of days and look for a list of our trips for the coming year. In short, we've got San Ignacio Lagoon whale-hugging in March (almost sold out), Roatan in May, Indonesia in July (almost sold out), Yap in September, and Palau in November. We specialize in generally small groups and excellent trips so hopefully you'll be able to join us for one or more of these. More details and pricing wil be found in the newsletter (and on our website).

WASN'T FROSTY A SNOWMAN??? - Well, maybe he was a killer whale, aka Orca. Because off of Monterey, CA, a week or so ago, they started spotting a very rare white Orca. Obviously, they nick-named him "Frosty." You can see video of Frosty swimming with a pod of normally-colored Orcas here: FROSTY THE ORCA.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week - don't eat too much candy from Halloween - and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom