Buying webbing for DiveRite BP: Grommet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to change out my "Deluxe" harness for a more Hog-compliant set up. DiveRiteExpress sells 2" webbing by the foot, but I was wonder how/if I need to add a grommet for the top?

On the DiveRight web site they show their basic haness as having a grommet - and my Deluxe harness does indeed have one.

Thoughts or insights?

Thanks - Ray

RJP3:
Looking to change out my "Deluxe" harness for a more Hog-compliant set up. DiveRiteExpress sells 2" webbing by the foot, but I was wonder how/if I need to add a grommet for the top?

On the DiveRight web site they show their basic haness as having a grommet - and my Deluxe harness does indeed have one.

Thoughts or insights?

Thanks - Ray

If you are using a STA or diving doubles, burn a hole with a soldering iron. If not no hole necessary.

Tobin

I didn't have a soldering iron. But I did have a metal rod and a propane torch. Worked pretty well.

Ditto on the metal rod. Just heat it up with a torch and you are good to go. No need to fool around with a grommet, unless you just like grommets.

I use a soldering iron because I don't have a torch.... :wink:

hoosier:
I use a soldering iron because I don't have a torch.... :wink:

I felt sorry for myself because I had no soldering iron, until I met a man who had no torch

:)

Thanks all!

Just use the soldering iron or heat up a phillips screw driver. Adding grometts is pretty easy, and cheap if you just get the ones from Home Depot. You might have to replace them every few years. I guess it would depend on how many salt water dives you make.

I did the same thing, and it worked great.

RJP3:

Thoughts or insights?

Thanks - Ray

A company who sells services Awnings and/or does tent repair can put a grommet in the webbing for you. I've used a local awnings shop for that purpose. I gave the guy $5 which included a $3 tip.

EDIT: ooops I see you've already burned a hole in webbing.

RJP3:
I felt sorry for myself because I had no soldering iron, until I met a man who had no torch

:)

Thanks all!

I met a bum who asked me for change for a twenty... Twenty? I says. Chump... twenty is change!

Definitely no grommet necessary. In fact, I prefer mine without the grommet. I like the above method of heating a rod or bolt with a propane torch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom