buying used tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree with the general thought of the group.

The cylinder is fine if it passes Visual, Eddy Currrent, & Hydro. Only 2% of the 6351 cylinders have been found with Sustained Load Cracking. Problem is there is a mass hysteria developing over these cylinders and dive shops are making business decisions not to fill them even though they are perfectly safe. More cylinders fail due to improper fill procedures and lack of formal training by the same shops that refuse to fill 6351 cylinders "in the name of safety".

You are probably looking at $40 for a Hydro, VIP, & EC Test, add that to the $50 you will pay for the cylinder, and you are into it for at least $90. New cylinders typically sell for $100 to $140 for aluminum. For the $10 - $50 extra bucks I would buy a new cylinder, especially if you are considering paying an extra $20 pending the Hydro.

Save the hassle, buy a new one.......

That's my thoughts anyway...

Aqua Marine:
The cylinder is fine if it passes Visual, Eddy Currrent, & Hydro. Only 2% of the 6351 cylinders have been found with Sustained Load Cracking. Problem is there is a mass hysteria developing over these cylinders and dive shops are making business decisions not to fill them even though they are perfectly safe. More cylinders fail due to improper fill procedures and lack of formal training by the same shops that refuse to fill 6351 cylinders "in the name of safety"

Where did you get this 2% number?

I know DOT and PSI deosn't really know, since people don't report "cylinders removed from service" to anyone.

The figure is probably higher than 2%. We have 50ish 6351 tanks at my workplace, and I've condemned 3 in the past year for cracks. They're quite safe if they're inspected properly but they won't last forever.

I wouldn't buy an out-of-hydro aluminum tank for $50, even if it was recent. Odds are it'll test out fine, but you'll have wasted a bunch of money on hydro. Just try lowballing him and see if you can get it for $25.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom